PC booting from wrong drive

bumpkin 17:13 26 Aug 14
Answered

Hi all, just playing with an old XP Home PC Sony Vaio which I use primarily just for my cctv. 2hdds one with the OS and anything else and one solely as a recorder for cctv. I put another hdd in it which was laying around to just to see what was on it with the intention of formatting it and using as a backup. Everything still works OK but it seems to have made itself the C drive and now boots into to XP Pro. Storage drive is SATA other 2 are set to cable select Eide drives. I would rather it booted from the original drive.

beeuuem 18:14 26 Aug 14

On startup go into the BIOS and change the boot order. You can access the BIOS with the F2 key. If you have a newer unit the press the "Assist" button and choose "F2" to enter the BIOS.

bumpkin 19:26 26 Aug 14

beeuuem, thanks I have tried that but it reverts back when I reboot. A bit baffled by what is going on here, it clearly says on initial boot that it is XP Pro, I can't get internet access with it anyway so I think I will just format it.

beeuuem 20:26 26 Aug 14

As you can boot into an OS, albeit not the one you want, you could then go to disk management and change the drive letter on the HDD you don't want to boot from.It would seem that you have two C drives and the machine will boot from the first one it sees in the BIOS.

bumpkin 21:21 26 Aug 14

thanks, I have disabled the offending drive in BIOS so now it can only boot from original one. Strange thing I have not encountered before, not matter what I set in the boot order it would only boot from the newly installed drive. Not formatted it yet in case of other suggestions, not even sure if I can unless I put it in a caddy.

bumpkin 21:36 26 Aug 14

Maybe should have jumpered them as master and slave rather than cable select as an afterthought.

beeuuem 00:19 27 Aug 14

Not being an expert I don't know about how the BIOS makes decisions. If you have two drives with an OS on each you would need a boot manager to select the one you want to use. Easy BCD is free for personal use from click here The download link is at the bottom of the page.

beeuuem 00:21 27 Aug 14
Answer

PS You would still need to change one of the drive letters so that you don't have two 'C' drives.

bumpkin 20:46 27 Aug 14

beeuuem, sorry for the delay been out all day, a replacement ide cable sorted the boot issues, I don't think the original was suitable for cable select. I don't need 2 OS's it was just by chance that the spare drive had XP pro on it. valid key as well so now using that OS and the original HDD as a backup, so a good result in the end. Thanks for your input.

beeuuem 23:10 27 Aug 14

It is sorted which is all that matters. I now have a problem of my own with a sound card !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced