PC Boot-up problem

Katie's Bloke 15:05 06 Jun 05

Hi, when I switch on my Packard Bell PC, it beeps a couple of times and then nothing else happens. I've tried using the emergency disk but it doesn't even get as far as reading the A: drive. Has the hard disk failed or is there some other (and less serious) explanation??? Also where's the best place to get it checked out - I'm based in Cambridge.

Completealias 15:11 06 Jun 05

How many beeps exactly as they are notifying you of what the problem is

Could be many things

Katie's Bloke 15:17 06 Jun 05

first 1 beep on it own then followed by 8 quick beeps.

Completealias 15:33 06 Jun 05

According to here click here that is a display test failure.

I would check that my graphics card was seated properly and all the connections to it. Could be that your graphics card has gone

Completealias 15:37 06 Jun 05

Do you have another monitor that you check it with?

If you do then connect that up and if all ok then the problem is with your monitor if not I'd say graphics card

Katie's Bloke 16:49 06 Jun 05

Ok, thanks, I'll give it a try with another monitor and let you know how it goes.

Katie's Bloke 17:09 13 Jun 05

Good news, I opened the computer and made sure all the cards were properly slotted in...I also took out the video card and cleaned it as it very dusty. Switched the computer on and it booted up properly first time!

Stuartli 18:15 13 Jun 05

It's the graphics card that was clearly the problem - eight beeps after two slightly longer ones indicate video related involvement.

You can find out what all the beeps signify at:

click here

for future reference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…