PC Booster

Kernow999 21:11 10 Aug 04

I have just seen on PC World's site an advertisement for a PC Booster.
Is it any good?
Does anybody know of it or use it?

Belatucadrus 21:33 10 Aug 04

Assuming you mean this click here then there's nothing wrong with it, but it's claims for improvements are hugely optimistic. Most of what it does can be done with freebies click here so why pay ?

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:57 10 Aug 04

Get Regseeker click here , Free Adaware click here and CCleaner click here , they are all free and will do more good than PCBooster. Delete all ye findeth and post here if you need any help.

Kernow999 08:28 11 Aug 04

Thanks. I have just downloaded and run CCleaner. Under the "Issues" section it has come up with a load of missing shared DLL links, Obsolete Software Keys and Missing start up programs.
What do you suggest that I do with all these?

Kernow999 09:02 11 Aug 04

If I click on any of the items found so that the program can sort it out it asks about updating the Registry. That scares me! Can I mess up my pc by clicking on the wrong thing?

Belatucadrus 12:22 11 Aug 04

You haven't mentioned your operating system, but assuming it's XP start by creating a new system restore point.
When it comes to cleaning the registry, I prefer Regseeker, it's a dedicated registry cleaner that makes a back up and so far hasn't caused any problems I'm aware of.
CCleaner 'Issues' setting isn't something I've used as it doesn't create an auto backup click here for how to do a manual registry backup if you want to try it.

Kernow999 12:33 11 Aug 04

Thanks for that. I am working on W98 however.

Dan the Confused 14:46 11 Aug 04

The only free registry cleaner I've used on Win98 is EasyCleaner click here which worked fine. I used this in conjunction with CleanUp! click here to get rid of junk files, which also worked fine.

You also might want to have a look at the 30 day trial of TuneUp Utilities 2004 which is fab click here

All this AND I live in Cornwall!

Dan the Confused 14:58 11 Aug 04

I meant CleanUp! click here (site has moved.)

Belatucadrus 15:06 11 Aug 04

I've used regseeker on W98 without any problems.

Kernow999 17:09 11 Aug 04

Thanks for all your help. Have installed a few things and deleted hundreds of files! Scary!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…