PC Blowing Fuse Everytime - Help Please

Sibbo 14:19 14 Mar 07

A friend of mine says that his parents PC blows a fuse virtually everytime that it is switched on. It's a basic PC with no added peripherals etc. They have a 13 Amp fuse fitted (don't know why), but it still blows. Is it a cable problem, power supply or something else? Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

johndrew 14:27 14 Mar 07

There is something very wrong if a 13 amp fuse is blowing on a PC power lead. A PC should only need a 3 amp fuse - a 5 amp at tops to allow for any surge and aging. A 13 amp fuse blowing indicates that power in excess of a two bar electric fire is being drawn.

I would suggest that the cable be checked/replaced and if the problem persists the PSU be considered suspect.

phono 14:29 14 Mar 07

For a start a 13 Amp fuse is way too high for a PC, they are asking for trouble by constantly replacing it, they need to have the mains cable and PSU checked by an expert ASAP.

phono 14:30 14 Mar 07

I must learn to type faster.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:32 14 Mar 07

swap the lead if stil same change the PSU

AND FIT A 3A FUSE.

woodchip 15:09 14 Mar 07

Faulty PSU and or cable as above

Sibbo 15:10 14 Mar 07

They are the suggestions that I came up with as a start point for my mate, but thought that I would ask here also in case someone could suggest something else. Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…