PC on the blink

bovthedog 30 Dec 11

My PC has taken to shutting down at what seems like random intervals. Sometimes the boot screen hangs and needs a 'ESC' to continue, but sometimes not. It can also shut down while Windows XP (SP3) is loading and also after it has loaded or at anytime after but normally within the first few minutes. My browser (Firefox) will crash with an apology (very thoughtful). After system has been running for 5 minutes it will run for rest of the day. After shut-down PC will not restart for 1 minute as though there is a timer preventing restart. After a restart I get an option screen asking which Windows mode to start but if I select 'Safe Mode' all I get is a list of drivers. After trying to restart after 'Standby' PC will shut down. I'm drawn to an HDD problem as it is has got noisier. Any other thoughts much appreciated before I replace the HDD. My mobo is an Asrock P4 with AMI v02.54 BIOS. PC has been running now for 15 minutes without problems.

buteman 30 Dec 11

If an oldish computer check the air vents for dust and fluff.If any inside will probably need cleaning as well.

Have you tried Tapping F8 as the Computer starts just to see if it will start in safe mode that way. Check in device Manager to see if it finds any faults and event viewer to see if any problems on there.

Maybe do a chkdsk to see if that is ok.

And have you ran your security programs,Malwarebytes is good at finding problems.

bovthedog 30 Dec 11

Thanks Buteman. I ran chkdsk and no problems reported. I did further search and cold/condensation could be a problem. My PC is in quite a cold room overnight and it it is possible that condensation forms which would explain why it's difficult to start first thing.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message