//some 3rd party need geo

PC and BIOS problem?

Happy37 07:55 26 Jan 05

I hope that someone can help out there with a problem that I've just started having with PowerDVD4 XP on my PC which is a Pentium4, 3.2Ghz, Hyper-Threading, 1GB RAM, 80gb and 200gb hard drives and a 256MB Radeon 9600 Advantage PRO DDR TV Out DVI-I graphics card.

I also have a Sony DW-U18A rewriter drive and an ASUS DVD-ROM E616 drive in this PC.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 with all latest patches and updates applied.

I have recently just got it back after having the motherboard replaced because it blew on two occasions.

All has been working fine up until two days ago when I saw a “Messenger” window pop up on the screen and say something to the effect that “spyware, malware, viruses and Trojans could be or are running on this PC”

I am pretty sure that I made the mistake of not having any Antivirus software installed before going online to check the web or emails and so on.

The problem now comes when I boot up and cannot get past the initial BIOS screens because the PC does not let me boot from the master HDD into Windows.

The other issue that I have noticed happening is that when I switch it on at one particular point or day, it will come on, see both HDD’s (Master and Slave) and boot into Windows normally, and all is okay after that.

If I switch it on another day, like for example at 05:00am today, then it would only see the Slave and not the Master, or vice versa.

Does anybody know what is going on, or have they unfortunately experienced this before themselves?

Is it, or could this be a virus in the BIOS, and if it is, where do I go from here to recover from it, and what does this involve?

I look forward to any replies on this matter – any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

georgemac © 08:19 26 Jan 05

I would wait until you have it running windows and the do the following.

1. Install AVG anti virus software, update it and do a full system scan click here

2. Install adaware se click here and do a full system scan and remove any malware detected

3. Install spywareblaster and enable all protection, update it and enable all protection again click here

If you have problems installing avg there are standalone virus checkers like stinger click here you can download and run

or alternatively you could do an online virus scan click here

That's a start - post back results

georgemac © 08:21 26 Jan 05

I'll be surprised it it is avirus causing this, I suspect your system still has problems, but until you make sure it is clean of all virus and malaware we cannot be sure.

I would be worried if my new system had suffered 2 blown motherboards - they are usually very reliable.

Happy37 08:37 26 Jan 05

georgemac

Thanks for the replies.

I am considering doing all the above anyway, but can only do all this if I can get into Windows in the first place.!!!

If you see what I have said in my above post:-

" The problem now comes when I boot up and cannot get past the initial BIOS screens because the PC does not let me boot from the master HDD into Windows.

The other issue that I have noticed happening is that when I switch it on at one particular point or day, it will come on, see both HDD’s (Master and Slave) and boot into Windows normally, and all is okay after that.

If I switch it on another day, like for example at 05:00am today, then it would only see the Slave and not the Master, or vice versa. "

Thanks for the help so far - please have a look at the above, and have you got any more ideas please?

georgemac © 08:56 26 Jan 05

I had assumed that you can get into windows normally at some point?

The system is still under warranty? If so I would get back to the vendor and see what they advise

other than this you are looking at using the recovery console, which is new ground to me but there is an excellent guide by a forum member powerless click here

if you are infected by a virus that is stopping your system booting, I would imagine it would be on the mbr (master boot record) portion of the hard drive. Personally I have never seen this.

I think it may be a hardware problem with power supply or motherboard.

Mango Grummit 09:10 26 Jan 05

This is very strange in that the message you are getting is similar to many pop-up adverts seen on the net, trying to scare us into downloading something with a view to making a sale. Not the sort of message or warning one would expect to see whilst not actually on the net.

You indicate that you have recently had your machine attended to by a third party. If I were you I would return it for further attention and a thorough checkup as obviously (strange message aside) it is not working as it should. As georgemac says, motherboards are very reliable and to have two blow would be a major source of worry if this machine were mine.

It seems likely to me that whoever has been furdling with your machine has not done a proper job.

Happy37 09:10 26 Jan 05

georgemac

Thanks once again for your help and reply.

I have already contacted the vendor for help and he will contact me at some point today to see what can be done.

Other than that, I have printed off the recovery Console guide to give that a go and see if it works.

If you have any other ideas and options that I could try, please do not hesitate to post back and I will reply back in return.

Mango Grummit 09:11 26 Jan 05

posted at same time :o)

georgemac © 09:45 26 Jan 05

other than recovery console, boot from the windows xp cd-rom and reinstall xp on top of itself, but I do not think windows is the problem, the problem is happening well before windows gets a chance to load.

Keep us updated. Do you want to let us know who the vendor is - is it a major pc supplier?

phono 10:04 26 Jan 05

I would be fairly certain that you have a hardware problem with your computer.

As far as I am aware there are no virus infections that alter your BIOS, I believe at one time there was a virus that flashed the BIOS so that the computer would not boot at all, but this is not what you are experiencing.

Have you checked your hard drives for errors?

Happy37 11:24 26 Jan 05

Georgemac

I also do not think that Windows is the problem as like you said, the problem is happening well before windows gets a chance to load.

I will keep you updated - as soon as I hear what my vendor has to say as to what he can do regarding this problem, then I'll post back to let you know.

By the way, it is not major PC supplier; it's only a small computer shop near where I live in Bromley, Kent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…