pc beginner needs help Please!!!!!!

shellsblues 12:52 13 Jun 06

I have a home pc that is connected to telewest broadband via a modem. Ive now invested in a laptop i was told id need a wireless network adaptor and a router so i purchased both and installed both but i still cant get internet on it ive phoned the helplines but being a beginner i didnt really understand what they were saying. I need someone to help me step by step to sort it out and help me get my laptop on line any suggestions would be very much appreciated. The only wires that came with the laptop is a phone wire but i dont want it via dialup and one with a usb on one end and a square type connection on other where do they go so sorry told ya i was a beginner. lol Please can someone help me.!!!!!!!

shellsblues 12:53 13 Jun 06

sorry forgot to say im running XP on both.

retep888 13:44 13 Jun 06

Please tell us what wireless router you've got?

You'll need a cable router not a combined ADSL/MODEM router.

mgmcc 13:46 13 Jun 06

The first thing you should probably tell us is which model of Wireless Router you have bought. It is important with Telewest that you use a stand-alone wireless router, often described as a "Wireless Cable/DSL Router". Don't confuse the reference to DSL with models which are a combined "Router & ADSL Modem" - these are for ADSL broadband delivered via the phone line and not suitable for Cable.

Assuming you have the correct router, power everything off, including the Cable Modem which should be left without power for a couple of minutes. This is important so that it "releases" the association between your existing connection and the IP address it has allocated to it. It will then recognise a different connection and allocate a new IP address to it.

Connect an ethernet (network) cable between the Cable modem's ethernet port and the router's WAN (Wide Area Network - Internet) port. Connect another ethernet cable between your PC's ethernet port and one of the router's LAN ports. Power on the Cable Modem and wait for it to get its four steady lights, then power on the router and wait for it to be fully booted. Finally boot the PC.

There is normally a very little amount of setting up in the router which can be done by entering its IP address into a web browser. With Cable broadband, the default settings might let you get online to the internet with the default settings.

Do that first and then look at the "wireless" settings. I would have thought that a new laptop would already be "wireless-enabled", without requiring an additional separate Wireless Network Adapter. If you open the Network Connections folder, you can see if there is an entry for a "Wireless Network Connection".

shellsblues 13:49 13 Jun 06

I bought i linksys wireless-G broadband router with speed booster

mgmcc 14:33 13 Jun 06

Is that the WRT54GS? If so, that's the one I'm currently using with Telewest. Just follow the previous instructions and I would advise against using the CD, despite the dire warnings to run it first. It's basically only a wizard.

shellsblues 14:47 13 Jun 06

yeah it is. Should there be a cable to load my laptop onto the internet via that i followed all the instructions that it said but cant see how to get my laptop hooked onto internet via the router.

retep888 15:07 13 Jun 06

Don't worry about the cable to connect between your laptop and router, it'll connect to the internet thru' the router wirelessly.

First do as mgmcc said,you'll have to configure the router thru' your home pc with an ethernet cable, then make sure you enable wireless function.

gerardz 16:09 13 Jun 06

i want to upgrade my old 98 pc to xp home edition.my xp home edition disks are not compatible with my old pc .could i do this by downloading my xp files and settings to disk?i am lost.

ade.h 16:47 13 Jun 06

Instead of hijacking someoe else's thread, please start your own. Not only that, but your question belongs in the Helproom, not in Networking.

ade.h 16:50 13 Jun 06

If there is no RJ45 Ethernet cable in the box (not uncommon, despite their cheap price) then click here and get one of those. You don't need to spend much an RJ45 (don't go to PC World!). A patch type will suffice though crossover works just as well for this purpose.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…