pc battery life

simongy 09:59 19 Aug 03

How long apprx does the battery in pc motherboard last for? What are the warning signs if it is failing. If it fails does it mean buying a new m/board or what? thanks in advance.

xania 10:13 19 Aug 03

Battery life is not fixed - I've had many motherboards and never had to replace a single battery - a friend had to replace a battery after less than 2 years.

The first indication is that the system fails to remember time and date and reverts to the BIOS basic settings on boot-up. If the battery fails, its normally just a matter of replacing it. Some older PC have mobos with the battery soldered into place, but even these CAN be replaced. But the modern ones take watch-type batteries you can pick up from any PC repair shop.

MAJ 10:16 19 Aug 03

Usually they last for years, most of the time they will last longer than the PC itself. If it is running down you will notice that your PC's clock is losing time when switched off and rebooted (overnight). If it fails it's usually a simple matter to replace the battery, no need for a new motherboard.

-pops- 11:06 19 Aug 03

I agree with all of the above. I've never had a battery die in my own machines - perhaps because I'm always building new ones but, a bit of advice if your computer is getting a bit old, is to keep an eye on your computer clock/timekeeping, especially when you first switch on. If it starts to go awry, replace the battery fairly sharpish. This is important if you've made some alterations to your BIOS settings as, if you're quick with battery replacement, there can be enough charge left behind to retain the BIOS settings. I think you have about 15 - 20 minutes after you remove the battery.

Even if you don't manage that, it's a good idea to make a note of any changes you've made in the BIOS, if any, so that you can easily reset them.

jz 18:24 19 Aug 03

"Even if you don't manage that, it's a good idea to make a note of any changes you've made in the BIOS, if any, so that you can easily reset them."

Do any BIOS changes take place without the user realising (eg when you install software or hardware) or does the user always manually make changes to the BIOS.

The reason I ask is to find out if I should make a note of the BIOS settings even if I've never made changes myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…