pc base unit

orihuela60 15:12 22 Jun 10

Hi there, can anyone advise me?

My pc base unit has died and as I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer etc I would like to replace the base unit only. I have been advised to buy a tower, and when I have looked on Amazon I can buy an IBM Lenovo ThinkCentre M51 for £80 refurbished - do you think they are worth buying?

I just use it for word documents/files, internet browsing, e-mail, downloading onto my memory stick and playing a dvd now and again (no gaming).

I don't want to spend too much money any recommendations?

chub_tor 18:35 22 Jun 10

Once upon a time the ThinkCentre M51 was a cutting edge design. Those days are long gone but they are still suitable for the basic functions that you have listed. Check that the model you are buying has a DVD ROM and preferably a DVD R/W in it, 1Gb RAM would be good, make sure that it includes an OS such as Windows XP and that it has some kind of warranty in case it fails to work when it arrives.

orihuela60 17:18 23 Jun 10

thanks.

decided to try it - dvd rom, 1gb ram, windows XP can't complain for £90 as long as it works, only 3 months guarantee.

Dragon_Heart 03:09 28 Jul 10

... PC's fail in the first few weeks.

wee eddie 11:00 28 Jul 10

Make sure that it has a copy of a suitable version of Windows, or that you can transfer your version.

If your's is OEM, then you can't transfer it.

wee eddie 11:01 28 Jul 10

That last posting should have been addressed to you

wee eddie 11:23 28 Jul 10

Just seen it's a month old posting.

Did you buy it and if so, how is it performing?

ronalddonald 00:56 29 Jul 10

try ebuyer dot com, they have base units

onthelimit2 15:24 18 Aug 10

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…