PC Attacked: Cannot Access Any Files. Help!

glasgowguy240 19:40 12 May 04

Help!

I have a Norton Firewall and have been using file sharing program WinMX so my PC has been downloading most of the time. I recently restarted my PC only to be told by Norton that there had been a successful attack on my PC and was advised to uninstall the firewall and then reinstall it.

However, I have encountered big problems. Every time I start up my PC all my files seem to have gone! Also whenever I click START nothing happens at all - no options pop up at all. Also, My Documents doesn't open. When I try I get:

"The My Documents folder could not be found. Right-click the My Documents icon, click Properties and check if the path your target folder location is correct". This does not work.

Also, when accessing My Computer (which is the only thing on my now empty desktop that opens) I cannot see any drives or files and am told:

"Current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly"
This happens no matter which folder I try to access. I cannot even see the files inside any folder, let alone access any of them. This is the case for my small C Drive (containing all my programs) and also my D Drive (containing mostly music, vids, work etc.)

Please help me!!! My PC is now totally useless and I fear I have lost all my files completely.

Is there any way I can retreive them and sort all of this without restoring to factory settings??
Also, if I do have to restore to factory settings is there a way to keep all my data on the D Drive? Most of my most important files are on here.

Thanks very much for any help!

System Spec:
Windows ME
Processor: AMD Athlon 1000MHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Motherboard: 200MHz
Graphics: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2
C Drive: 20GB
D Drive 120GB

VoG II 19:45 12 May 04

Does the Start menu appear if you press the Windows key - usually on the bottom row near Ctrl and Alt.

woodchip 20:01 12 May 04

Looks like jet wash. In other words Format and reinstall

'Cos if it does, try pressing Windows key with Break to bring up System Properties... (works on XP, may do on ME...)

VoG II 20:04 12 May 04

If they can get to a Run box or into MSDOS they could type

c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and click OK to run System Restore.

Unlikely to work but worth a shot.

glasgowguy240 20:13 12 May 04

Thanks guys will try this out when I have the chance.

Obviously am not on own PC just now as I cannot access internet either.

Would appreciate any more help or advice to try also...

If I do format is it possible to save files on D drive???

Thanks again

terendak_uk 20:33 12 May 04

In my naivety I assumed that Norton should have blocked this? Isn't that what the firewall from Norton is supposed to do. Given appropriate settings , of course.

glasgowguy240 20:36 12 May 04

I thought so too - I was very shocked that it happened.

terendak_uk 20:41 12 May 04

the winmx one, for a long period of time, then you have permitted access?? Would be very interested to hear from one of our experts on this

VoG II 20:42 12 May 04

Must have allowed access on the port that winmx uses or nothing would download.

terendak_uk 20:48 12 May 04

permitting any port to open( outlook express etc) can open one up to "attack"?I ask because of my naivity in these matters, VoG.... Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…