PC Anywhere across the Internet

pritch the stitch 17:08 29 Aug 03

I have PC anywhere. I want to use the internet (phone line) to access my home/office network from my laptop while I am out of the office. I am on broadband on the office Network. How do I find out the address to point PC Anywhere at?

harry_b 19:18 29 Aug 03

you will need to give more info, office setup, does it use a router?, what operating system etc.

pritch the stitch 14:34 01 Sep 03

I have Win XP PC (which has the accounts/sales info I want) plus 1 PC with Win 98. I also plug my laptop (XP) in as and when I want to. This is all through a D-Link ADSL hub. The hub has the firewall enabled, I have a firewall on the laptop but I have not - yet - put Norton Firewall on the desk PC. Zone alarm didn't work.

tbh72 14:36 01 Sep 03

If you run winipcfg.exe on your office computer this will give you it's IP address. I use this when finding IP address for use with VNC.

pritch the stitch 14:56 01 Sep 03

I don't find that file on my desk pc (XP) if I do a search. In which case I can't run it!

harry_b 18:29 01 Sep 03

in the run dialog box type cmd then press enter, this will open a command window, in this type ipconfig /all press enter, look for the ip address assigned to your ethernet adapter, if it is in the 192.168 range then its likely that you are using a dhcp server (possibly a router )if so then you have to get the ip address assigned to the router, look at the documentation which came with the router for the default username and password also the default ip address, when you have the ip address then type it into your browsers address bar e.g click here, once into the router you will have to find the external ip address which has been assigned by your isp.

harry_b 18:30 01 Sep 03

sorry that wasn't meant to be a link.

pritch the stitch 09:52 18 Sep 03

Thank you with your help and advice from my broadband provider all is now working.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…