PC Anti Virus How Can I get rid?

Alf58 00:41 16 May 09

My daughter was very alarmed when a programme called PC Anti Virus which she did not recall installing on her PC started giving very alarming warnings. It seems to have taken over the windows firewall function as well. I can only assume it installed itself when she dowloaded Internet Explorer 8?

Anyway I want to uninstall it. How can I do this? It is not listed in Add or remove programmes. Am I stuck with it as an integrated Windows component? It keeps saying it can only remove alll these threats if it is registered. Does this mean I have to pay for it?

phono 00:50 16 May 09

Download MalwareBytes anti malware from click here click the blue, Download free trial version, button, install, update and run a quick scan, if it picks anything up let it deal with what it finds, reboot if requested and then run a full scan.

Report back with any findings.

Alf58 00:55 16 May 09

Thanks I'll give this a try

rdave13 01:07 16 May 09

If Malwarebytes can't run in normal mode then download Superantispyware; click here free edition then update if you can.
Reboot and start in safe mode. Keep tapping F8 (or F5 on some PCs). You'll eventually get to a screen that gives you some options. Pick safe mode (without internet connection).
Run Superantispyware in full mode (not quick mode). This will take some time. Clean all it finds then it should ask to reboot and do so.
Now back in 'normal mode' run Mallwarebytes in full mode (not quick mode).

lotvic 01:08 16 May 09

Do a system restore to before

and/or

Run the FREE programs Malwarebytes and Superantispyware

Mbam click here

SUPERAntiSpyware click here

Read skidzy's thread 'Safe and Clean Computers' click here

rdave13 01:09 16 May 09

Just read my last post again but I promise it will make sense.....

robin_x 08:49 16 May 09

Google "revo uninstaller". also "file unlocker" if you have problems.

robin_x 08:50 16 May 09

Also I found Avira better than PC Tools AV.

Alf58 13:59 16 May 09

The Programme is Called "WINPC Antivirus". My daughter thinks it came with the latest version of Windows messenger.
The problems:
System restore just wont work. When I click the "next" button absolutely nothing happens whichever restore point I use.

Malwarebytes and Spybot seem to install ok but wont run.

I cant get into safe mode. My daughters machine is an Acer so on switch on you get a green ACER splashscreen and then the Windows XP splash screen. CTR ALT DEL just freezes the Acer screen and the loading stops.

Dunno what to do apart from a total reformat. At the moment the computer is working but every 30 seconds or so you get a warning about a trojan or a warning saying there is no anti virus software instaleed (there is: AVG). AVG is up to date but it reports it is not. AVG runs ok but does not report the presence of any problems. HELP!
Not sure where to go

phono 14:25 16 May 09

From the Microsoft site: As soon as you switch the laptop on press and hold the F8 key as your computer starts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears.

Alf58 14:58 16 May 09

Thanks. Yes I have now go into safe mode but even then Malwarebytes will not run. I cant run it and I cant unistall it. Same with Spybot it will load but wont run even in safe mode. Dont know what to try next

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…