PC Advisor Flash advertisement

Newuser964 11:23 30 Jun 06

I am getting a near full page Flash advertisement for PC Advisor, of all things, at irregular intervals and when I am not on any PC Advisor website.

It is a big nuisance as Spybot and my firewall do not seem to pick it up, and having no Close box, it can only be got rid of by Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Surely PC Advisor are not responsible for this?!?

Can anyone advise please?

johndrew 14:30 30 Jun 06

Might sound a daft question, but when you say `full page Flash advertisement` do you mean the `flash` that you get when loading a PCA DVD/CD? The one that offers you the chance to subscribe to PCA and get a free gift (currently Britannica I think)?

If so, have you somehow loaded the Flash Player from a disk or possibly one of the pictures?

If you have you should either be able to delete it or search for it by name and deal with it.

Newuser964 16:22 30 Jun 06

John - that rang a bell, and indeed there's a PC Advisor CD-Rom in my DVD drive which I had forgotten about. Will check next time if it is the same one. If so the mystery will be what is suddenly getting it to autoplay when I am not calling it. Thanks

johndrew 19:00 30 Jun 06

All PCA CDs will start automatically if left in the drive - they are designed to do so, you don`t have to worry about autoplay.

Glad the mystery is resolved.

Newuser964 00:29 01 Jul 06

John - I think that's indeed what's been happening, I hadn't realised the CD was in, my son put it there I think; however the Autoplay seems to have been occurring at haphazard times with nothing to prompt it. Never mind, the main mystery is solved, thanks

Forum Editor 00:38 01 Jul 06

I can sleep easy tonight.

My thanks to you, johndrew for being right on the ball with your diagnosis.

johndrew 10:56 01 Jul 06

As a `learner` myself that is a welcome accolade. Many thanks.

Perhaps one of our more technically minded members could come up with a bit of software that flashes a warning whe a DVD/CD is left in the drive. I`m sure we`ve all done it at some time.

SG Atlantis® 11:10 01 Jul 06

"flashes a warning whe a DVD/CD is left in the drive"

Both my dvd drives have leds for this.

Especially the philips... purple led on the right lights up if it's a dvd. a purple led lights up if it's a cd on the left side and glows red along the middle if it's burning a disk.

johndrew 13:03 01 Jul 06

Thanks for the info.

The only lights on my NEC DVD-RW and Asus DVD-R are the yellow/orange lights. Both `flash` during boot regardless as the BIOS checks for a bootable disk but this is the only warning I get.

What would be nice is a screen which says something like, `A disk has been detected in **** during the startup process. Do you wish to run it now? Y/N`.

Probably overkill but it may help those who share PCs with others who may leave disks in drives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…