PC advice required!

jd123 08:40 27 Oct 05

Need a new PC, not sure what to to spend I have a four year old son who is not yet into games and I would like to edit some video from my camcorder. Does anyone recommend a PC from anywhere, would prefer to spend £600 max or would anyone recommend spending less now and spending more when my son is a little older?

Someone - help!

Sirpad 09:33 27 Oct 05

JD123...I just purchased a DELL 5150 for £660 with kids and myself in mind.

Pentium 4 - 521 - 2.80GHz / Windows XP SP2
Memory 1024MB / 80GB Hard drive
CDRW/DVD-ROM / 17' FLat Monitor
Speakers with subwoofer (not really necessary)
Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel)
256MB Video card
1 year CAR
Am getting my own Antivirus package.

Obviously you can trim this way down for your needs and still get a decent machine although your 4-year will be using it before you know it (great educational software out there).

Not sure about video editing software. You could trim this machine down and use the money saved for that. Perhaps start a new thread about this.

Fingees 09:55 27 Oct 05

I would recommend visiting a local computer shop, where they can ascess your needs and build one to high spec. It will probably work out far cheaper, with the knowledge that any problems they are nearby.

After talking to them. you can choose whether to buy or look for a commercially built one.

All the best

wotbus@ 10:25 27 Oct 05

I would advise less now and more when your son is older. The speed of development today [PC's - not your son] is amazing. Your needs can be satisfied easily on an average performance PC with a reasonable size HDD and plenty of memory. It will also handle childrens games! In 6 yrs when your lad wants play all the stuff all 10 yr olds want, your PC will be hopelessly outclassed and there will be the call for high end graphics and CPU performance - these come at a very high price. Have a look at the PCA Best Buy classes and you will get some idea.
Buying a "bare bones" high performance PC now, with a view to upgrading later will be buying built in obsolescence and in my view a bad investment - particularly with the expense of bring up a son who will want other things besides a PC for games!

wotbus@ 10:27 27 Oct 05

Have a look here click here

jd123 11:40 27 Oct 05

Cheers everyone - thanks for providing me with some direction, think I will go with Wotbus and spend a little less now and upgrade in a few years.

What minimum spec do I need to get me thorugh the next five years with Kids games and a bit of video editing? Also - which PC would you recommend from the budget category in PC advisor Wotbus has provided a link to, I was thinking the Compaq Presario @ £579, does anyone think I can get equivalent or better than this that will service my needs for less cash?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5