pc with 6 PCI video cards !

alex 21:19 01 Dec 03

Hi, I have been asked to setupa pc with 6 PCI video card & win xp, runnig 6 different applications. Since I have not this before, is there anything I should be aware of it?

VoG II 21:24 01 Dec 03

Are you sure that the client knows what they want and why? How are they going to select which card is used by each application? Weird!

woodchip 21:42 01 Dec 03

I Think you have got your wires crossed!! and PCI cards

woodchip 21:43 01 Dec 03

Windows only Supports two

DieSse 21:53 01 Dec 03

woodchip - oh no it doesn't - see links.

Up to 8 displays with these cards click here

General help here click here

You will need a motherbaord with enough PCI slots - probably three dual output cards will be required - I don't think you'll find one for 6 individual cards and other cards too.

You'll need lots of power, and lots of cooling.

You'll probably have big issues with cable lengths - it'll require special, costly, monitor cable extenders - cheap ones produce terrible ghosting - Belkin do high quality ones.

How far apart are the monitors required - maybe smaller cheaper systems networked would be better??

I'll leave you to worry about how powerful a system you need, as at this stage only you know what applications are to be run!!

VoG II 21:58 01 Dec 03

Thanks to DieSse.

So they want 6 monitors as well?

woodchip 22:06 01 Dec 03

Probably 6 TV card's also

DieSse 22:22 01 Dec 03

an' keyboards an' mice ;-))

woodchip 22:38 01 Dec 03

It's got to be for a Shop, If looking at your link is right.

alex 07:42 02 Dec 03

I will let you all know once I have made them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…