PC 1 is on Broadband via USB Modem running XP

Giggle n' Bits 02:02 16 Jul 03

how is the best way to use the boardband conenction on another pc in another room but.

been reading around things like network the 21 pc's or get another usb modem for Bt Broadband or even a extension cable.

Never networked 2 computers together, the Broadband is by BT using a USB modem.

wawadave 06:43 16 Jul 03

hello
you can get a hub and two nic cards and a stright though net work cable,if your planing more computers to get added this is the way to go
or you get two nic cards and one cross over cable and put one card in each machine and crossover cable to both cards and your set other than useing net work wizzerd and config fire walls.

keith-236785 06:52 16 Jul 03

best way is to set up a small home network, connecting both computer and sharing the broadband connection.

fot this you would need a Lan card in each pc and a Crossover Cat5e cable long enough to reach between both pcs.

NOTE:- if you intend to link THREE or more pc now or in the future then you would need a Hub/Switch and STRAIGHT cat5e cable (the cost of the hub/switch pushes the price up slightly). now is the time to decide because if you were to change later you would have to replace your cabling.

if you are using winXP on your main computer then its quite easy to set up (did i just say that), there are loads of threads on here concerning networking so if you get stuck doing that, you know where to get advice.

good luck.

DieSse 08:57 16 Jul 03

Switches are very inexpensive now, hardly more than a hub in many cases, and are a better solution than a hub. many switches auto adjust themselves to use either standard or crossover cables, too.

Giggle n' Bits 12:25 16 Jul 03

Going to have a think about this.

Ok, My Mboard is a Asus A7V8X-X with onboard lan socket which I take is same as LAn, Nic etc.

Even though this machine has USB Modem to BT boradband the use of a Lan, Nic netowrk card wouldn't interfeer would it or cause probs.

I am still getting the damn Messenger icon near clock on desktop. Would uninstalling the damn thing in Add/remove progs shift it. It seems to be part of internet explorer.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:23 16 Jul 03

A simple way to do it is to buy another adsl modem (£29.99 from PCW), load up the drivers on computer 2 and Bob's yer uncle...well it works OK for me

G

GANDALF <|:-)>
Are yo really able to do that? Because I have heard from various sources that you DO need a NIC to have a second omputer use broadband on the same line. Can you confirm that a second modem will work properly i.e. no sudden decrease in speed.
I have a new bt broadband modem and an old one that drops out once in a while. Do you think installing that modem on my second pc will work?

rawknroll 14:59 16 Jul 03

I have my PC and Laptop connected using the XP network wizard and a cat5 crossover, total cost, £7 for the xover cable. It is easy to set up and as long as both machines arent downloading the human genome you wont notice a drop in speed, good nics are faster than the bb connection anyway.im not sure BT would like two ADSL devices trying to access one line, then theres problems with gain filters etc etc. Even if you dont have a second nic, they are only a tenner, and gauranteed to work for Internet Connection Sharing.

Thanks for the advice rawknroll

cyberpharmacist 15:51 16 Jul 03

hi GANDALF <|:-)>, I have the same query. I have two adsl modem and is connecting to BTopenworld, and have tried connecting the two modem to the same line (via different socket) and it doesn't work. i have only done that once as i have a wireless lan network, so i really don't have any reasons to do that, but if this work, it would be great as currently i am thinking of getting a router to try to solve internal/external ip address issues as the internal network can't have video conferencing to external network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…