PB iConnect 1100 - no sound - no master cd - no DO

bruce 18:21 06 Feb 03

I've been trying to fix a friend's 'puter (spec etc below), whose sound had stopped working. Turned out he hasn't done any maintenance in its 2 year life.

I managed to clean up his system a fair bit, but no joy with all the usual methods (incl. checking the bios) of restoring sound.
He only got a red PB boot-type floppy with the system (which he had set up by PC World!), no master CD.

I couldn't find the master cd creation program on his 'puter, so I downloaded the program (mcdsetup.exe) from the PB website, but it won't install on his system.

I can't find a way to reboot into DOS (!??).

I can't get the 'puter to boot from the floppy (which is listed as first boot device) (!??) - it just keeps coming up 'invalid disk - remove and strike any key'.

I would like to fdisk, format and restore. To be honest,I'd far rather fdisk, format and restore using an unused Windows CD I can give him, rather than restore the PB factory settings, but that would be better than nothing.

Help!!!

Thanks.

PB iConnect 1100 (?) dating from 12/12/02 - system serial no. 005437620160, P3 Celeron 700, (upgraded to) 128 MB, 13.something GB HDD, running ME, Gigabyte i810 1.3A m/board running at 66 mhz, Intel 82810 graphics, Intel 82801AA Audio Controller - SigmaTel Codec, MR2800-W data fax modem (all from Belarc).

TECHNODIMWIT 19:09 06 Feb 03

have you tried making a boot floppy from add/remove progs this should give you a me boot floppy or try click here

and download one, see if this gets into dos.

if you dont have the restore disc`s you may be able to restore winME settings, but i dont think this is possible as p/bell play around with the version of windows on reco disc.

mark

bruce 00:19 07 Feb 03

Yes - created a floppy from add/remove programs and downloaded an ME bootdisk (from a different website), but to no avail.
I'll try this bootdisk version when I can.
I agree about PB, hence why I'd rather fdisk, format and restore as a non-PB machine, but will I be able to? I've asked this before in fora and been assured that I will be able to - but not if I can't even boot into DOS.... I don't claim to be an expert (I suppose a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!), but I can't get my head round this machine (although I sorted out a Dell the same day for another friend).

TECHNODIMWIT 09:45 07 Feb 03

when my HDD went belly-up, i bought win-ME to install on new drive (originally 98se), the only problem was the mr2800 modem, its not supported by genuine ME disc, i couldn't find a driver for it anywhere and had to replace the modem.

I think the boot disc problem lies in the boot sector of the drive, or there is a hidden partition so you can only load a recovery disco on the drive. if you want i can sent you a copy of Kill-disc, this effectively wipes the Hdd clean, then you will definitely have to fdisk and format before loading windows.

mark

bruce 10:56 07 Feb 03

Looks fair enough - click here
- but, certainly at the moment, I can't get the machine to boot from a floppy. It just comes up as invalid disk, remove and strike any key....

TECHNODIMWIT 16:06 07 Feb 03

have used to wipe disc loaded with nt without probs.

TECHNODIMWIT 20:40 07 Feb 03

click here

might help for mr2800 modem driver.

mark

TECHNODIMWIT 20:44 07 Feb 03

click here

might help for mr2800 modem driver.

mark

bruce 17:57 08 Feb 03

mark
thanks. i searched the PB website and thought I had found the modem driver, but that page has a different one. I do not like that website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac