Paypal suspicious e-mail

Legolas 17:52 19 May 03

I received an e-mail from paypal which I had joined to pay for items I sometimes purchase on ebay. This is a copy of the email

Dear PayPal Customer

This e-mail is the notification of recent innovations taken by PayPal to detect inactive customers and non-functioning mailboxes.

The inactive customers are subject to restriction and removal in the next 3 months.

Please confirm your email address and Credit or Debit Card information using the form below:

The form referred to asked for the debit/credit card details I used for my paypal account. I did not enter any details or reply to this email, I contacted paypal from their website and informed them of the email, to date I have not received any reply from them except for the standard reply to let me know they had received my email. I find this email very suspicious and do not believe that paypal would ask for these details to be sent via email. Has anyone else received this email or does anyone know any more about it.

I am going to post this in consumerwatch also

fitshase 17:56 19 May 03

I have registered with Paypal and received nothing. It looks suspicious though and I would forward a copy onto Paypal.

Legolas 17:58 19 May 03

Have done fitshare, awaiting their reply

leo49 17:59 19 May 03

click here

Seems to be a variation on a similar theme.

Legolas 18:03 19 May 03

leo49 that is very similar although the information asked for was in a form supplied with the email but as you say it looks like a variation on the same theme. Had I been a newcomer to the Internet/email I would probably been taken in by it and supplied the asked for details.

mcullum_DX4Life 18:06 19 May 03

Paypal will NEVER ask you to supply ANY details via email, disregard anything like this. Only EVER supply details if you are logged in to your PayPal account on thier secure server (there will be a padlock in the bottom of your browser and the domain will begin with click here) and you are then requested to do so.

Willow12 18:09 19 May 03

I use PayPal and this is not something they would send. You should never give Credit Card details using Email anyway as these can be intercepted. Definitely dodgy I reckon.

-pops- 18:09 19 May 03

This is simliar to one reported a couple of months ago in (I think) Consumerwatch.

The advice then was to report it to Paypal who then took the appropriate action.

3Toed 18:13 19 May 03

Well done Legolas for using initiative,and notifying us all.

Legolas 20:05 19 May 03

Legolas 09:50 20 May 03

Thanks for all the replies. I hope it has helped to stop someone from falling into this trap.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…