PayPal for me?

Micklemass 19:26 04 Jul 06

Good evening all

Have read the postings on PayPal but wondered if it would be suitable for me and the potential cost.

I have a website click here and also have 400 booklets priced at £4 to sell. At the moment rely on orders and cheques through the post which might restrict things a bit.

Mick

djbenny 21:20 04 Jul 06

you could use this as many people use paypal, and they can accept credit/debit cards!

ade.h 21:31 04 Jul 06

I cannot recommend it, due to (a) the need for your customers to join its service and (b) its negative public image. I know a lot of people who have only modest PC knowledge, but have heard the horror stories and would not go near Paypal. It can reflect negatively on your business as a result. Use something like Netbanx or Worldpay instead.

PurplePenny 21:55 04 Jul 06

We've only ever had one customer refuse to use PayPal... and that was because he'd *never* heard of it! Other customers use it quite happily; most already have accounts: I can only think of one occasion when we've had to delay an order whilst the customer opened a PayPal account.

Forum Editor 23:21 04 Jul 06

is one of the world's largest, and certainly one of the most trustworthy transaction processing companies. They handle millions of successful transactions every month without a hitch, but of course the publicity goes to the very few who have problems.

I've been recommending PayPal to clients for a long time, and have integrated PayPal payment systems into many websites - so far without a single report of a problem. Your customers can pay with their credit cards, so they're protected by UK consumer law here, and by local legislation in other countries.

ade.h 23:39 04 Jul 06

Don't get me wrong; I'm not knocking Paypal personally. I would probably not want to use it, but that's just my choice.

But the negative image, fostered by the eBay problems that crop up (and sometimes get blown up out of proportion) can cast a bit of a question mark for those who don't necessarily see all sides. Which is a shame, because the obvious advantage to all 3rd-party payment systems is the consistency that they provide and - potentially - the guarantee of quality. We all use Amazon et al without a second thought, but you do sometimes pause and think twice before entering a secure payment area on a much smaller website that is unknown to you.

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:46 05 Jul 06

"but you do sometimes pause and think twice before entering a secure payment area on a much smaller website that is unknown to you."

That is the best reason to use Paypal. It lets people know it is a secure transaction. I use it on my sites with no trouble.

The only people who condemn it are the ones who are stupid enough to fall for email scams, and supply their details willy nilly.

harristweed 13:39 05 Jul 06
  ade.h 14:07 05 Jul 06

That was the point that I was making with that last paragraph, Barry. Not specifically Paypal, but payment systems in general - hence, my comment about consistency.

Micklemass 19:11 05 Jul 06

Sorry about the delay in getting back to everyone. I had wondered about it being a small website and not seen as secure enough but thanks barryoneoff for the comment and also the rest of you. Shall have a good think and a chat with the other half of the 'team'.

Many thanks
Mick

PurplePenny 22:18 05 Jul 06

For a small business PayPal can be used as a security plus. On our web site we make a point of the fact that because all the credit card information is handled by PayPal's secure servers we don't even see it.

There are many small businesses up and running because of PayPal. We, for instance, could not afford to do business online without it.

It has also opened up small e-commerce sites to international business.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…