payment security question

castiel333 19:17 18 Oct 04

I know this is probably a really stupid question but my daughters keep asking me to suscribe to napster and I am really worried about using my debit card online.If I had spyware or hackers in my pc couldnt they see my card detais when I fill the form in and then use my debit card themselves?

Valvegrid 19:23 18 Oct 04

Do you have to use your Debit card? If you can use a Credit card, you have better protection because it doesn't give direct access to your current account.

Valvegrid 19:24 18 Oct 04

By the way, you can use a credit card with a low credit limit, just for online use.

castiel333 19:25 18 Oct 04

Thanks Valvegrid but I dont have a credit card

Valvegrid 19:28 18 Oct 04

That's a shame, I think I would be very reluctant in giving my debit card details to anyone, so please be careful.

961 19:29 18 Oct 04

Then why not get one from the Bank that issues your debit card

Don't use a debit card on-line.

It does not give the same protection

castiel333 19:32 18 Oct 04

Thanks for your help Valvegrid Im not going to risk it as you think it could be unsafe regards shyfem

castiel333 19:35 18 Oct 04

Thank you too 961 I will apply for a credit card at least I know now that that would be safe regards shyfem

Valvegrid 19:36 18 Oct 04

I'm glad, I would hate you to be another ripoff statistic.

961 19:44 18 Oct 04

As valvegrid says, if you get one with a low limit you can relax, but in any event, most credit cards offer protection against internet fraud

Dorsai 19:47 18 Oct 04

I would also make sure that when you ask your bank (a suggestion i was about to make, but 961 beat me to it) that you make sure to ask for a low limit, say £200??

That way you know the most that can be 'stolen' is £200, and even then you stand the chance of getting it back. As has been said, better protection with credit cards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…