PATRIOT LAPTOP PROBLAM

shaneepoo 00:05 22 Dec 04

PLEASE COULD SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME ADVISE WEATHER OR NOT MY SONS PATRIOT 2410 LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD IS UP THE DUFF WHEN HE TURNS IT ON A BLACK SCREEN APPEARS WITH AMIBIOS CONFIGURATION SETTINGS AND AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN IT SAYS SDRAM at DIMM # 1,2 AND FREEZES IT ALSO FREEZES THE KEYBOARD I CAN GO INTO BIOS WHEN RESTARTING THE LAPTOP AND THE KEYBOARD WORKS FINE IVE CHANGED THE HARD DRIVE BUT STILL FREEZES THE SAME TRYED TO REBOOT WITH A FLOPPY AND TRYED TO REINSTALL WINDOWS FROM CD ROM BUT IT WONT GO PAST THAT SDRAM at DIMM # 1,2 COULD ANYONE TELL ME IF THE MOTHERBOARD AS HAD ITS DAY OR IS IT DOWN TO THE MEMORY AS IVE NOT GOT A CLUE ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED BEST REGARDS SHANE

woodchip 00:11 22 Dec 04

My guess is it's ether the CPU fan that as stopped working or the memory is faulty. but I would think the Fan. can you hear it or feel any air coming from the vent where the CPU is

woodchip 00:13 22 Dec 04

You could try a hair drier on cold blowing into vents. to see if it will go with the correct hard drive

shaneepoo 11:29 22 Dec 04

thanks for the advice but ive put the original hard drive in after trying another one which didnt solve the problam the fan is working perfectly why i come to the conculsion its the mother board and not the 2 memorys is that ive tryed swopping the memorys around and also tryed just one at a time but still the same it seems to me that the bios is picking up the correct things ect floopy,cdrom ect but when i try booting or installing windows it seems to me that the motherboard is freezeing the floppy,cdrom +keybord when it gets to that SDRAM at DIMM #1,2 message could you tell me if the cosmos battery could cause this problam as every time i turn the laptop on ive got to reset the time and date in the bios setting as it says bios battery low

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:20 22 Dec 04

This could be your problem change the battery very cheap £1.50 - £2.50 don't go to PCworld they will charge you £3.99.

After the memory message the PC is looking for the hard drive if the setting is lost in BIOS (flat battery) they it may well freeze during the auto detect phase as detected then lost straight away.

woodchip 16:21 22 Dec 04

If it's stopping on memory test I would suggest you try a known working Memory chip

woodchip 16:23 22 Dec 04

If it was the Motherboard you would not get as far as you do

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:28 22 Dec 04

Already swapped memory modules and recognises that SDRAM at DIMM #1,2. and would give POST beeps if faulty memory. I think its now struggling to auto detect drives.

woodchip 16:48 22 Dec 04

If you are Win98 start with a 98 floppy disc and type FDISK /MBR pree enter

shaneepoo 17:39 22 Dec 04

i dont get any beeps after SDRAM at DIMMS 1,2 so am i save in saying it not the memory modules ive not tryed the cosmos battery yet so i will try that next to see if that helps and will post a message letting you all no what happens thanks to you all for the advise you have given ps to woodchip answer sorry mate iam not on win98 its running on xp home editon

shaneepoo 17:46 22 Dec 04

to woodchip you no you said you think it was struggling to pick up the drives i think you are correct as in bios settings it reconizes the drives but when i stick a floopy or a windows cd in and reboot the laptop it dont seem to wont to read the floppy or cd

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…