Patch,Crossover - What Cable's What

  Pererin 21:10 17 Aug 06

Hi gang, can someone please explain to me the difference between network patch and crossover cables. Are the two the same or for completley different uses? As usual simple answers for simple person !

  ade.h 21:40 17 Aug 06
  mgmcc 21:44 17 Aug 06

To connect two computers directly - "Network Adapter" to "Network Adapter" - use a *CROSSOVER* cable.

To connect a PC's Network Adapter to a Hub, Switch or Router, use a *STRAIGHT-WIRED* cable.

That is the basic rule. There are other situations, such as "daisy-chaining" hubs/switches where a crossover cable may be necessary if there isn't an "uplink" port or if the devices don't have auto-sensing ports.

  Pererin 22:09 17 Aug 06

Thanks folks, that will save me going around in circles once again !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…