patch panel networking

wizzbizz 15:12 03 Sep 06

Hi
l have just bought a new house which comes with a patch panel system. However l have no idea how to use it. At the minute my broadband router is connected to my computer with it in turn connected to a data/phone point. ths point can be used for my broadband and phone ( can all my points be used this way as they are all really data points). What other tech do l need to be able to use these points
l am a complete begginer so a fools guide would be great. would love to understand networking as my aim is to be able to connect anything and everything to the internet at any one time

silverous 15:28 03 Sep 06

Wizzbizz. Wow a house with patch panels, very impressive.

Without seeing it it is difficult to tell but typically each port on the panel should go off to a port somewhere in the house. You can then patch those into whatever you want - often a switch/hub.

wizzbizz 18:40 03 Sep 06

So do l take a patch lead from the specfic point on the patch panel and connect it to the switch

sean-278262 18:46 03 Sep 06

Usually port 0 or 1 is the correct port for a router. It may be also labeled uplink. This would be better in the Networking forum. However I am quite surprised at the network being ready installed for you. Something our old house has been evolving for 3 years now and we are just about finished adding all the ports in.

As for the second point just a standard network cable should do it as you say.

silverous 19:21 03 Sep 06

All ports on the patch panel that have something at the other end you want to network will have to go into the switch. It is really just a 'junction box' to give a nice end point for the networking connections round your house.

silverous 19:22 03 Sep 06

That is assuming it is just a dumb patch panel and isn't a switch in itself.

The interesting thing (unless its labelled) will be figuring out which port corresponds to witch room !

wizzbizz 19:50 03 Sep 06

Not sure it it is a switch or just a patch panel, the points are numbered and the house data points are numbered to corresspod thank god

silverous 19:59 03 Sep 06

Great, that sounds like a patch panel to me then. Can you take a photo ? Would be interested to see.

Please tell me you didn't buy the house because of it ;)

wizzbizz 20:46 03 Sep 06

Hi silverous is it possible to post pictures in this forum

silverous 21:12 03 Sep 06

Use something like imageshack:

click here

You just choose browse, find your photo, then post the resulting link that it gives you under "Direct link to image" (last box).

wizzbizz 21:56 03 Sep 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…