Patch MS03-039 (KB824416) Download Problem

BriR 12:13 16 Sep 03

All is straightforward as d/load and install go without hitch and I?m told that ?installation is complete? (and I reboot though it doesn?t tell me to!? ? is this a clue) but when I go online again AutoUpdate is telling me to d/load the patch!. I check the Update log and see status ?failed?. I?ve tried over several days to patch both by Auto & from the Website and all failed. I get no error messages or any indication anything is wrong. I?m on XP Home. Looking at the log I see the original patch MS03-026 (823980) was auto installed on 18 July and as my system is behaving, I don?t think I have a worm problem. Any Ideas? I?ve read prev.threads on this patch but others at least seem to get an error message.

BriR 12:30 16 Sep 03

Soz - above number should read (KB824146)NOT 824416

Citizen -A 13:12 16 Sep 03

try from here, if you havent already.......
click here

BriR 13:27 16 Sep 03

No I didn't try from there as I thought thats where it came from anyway - however I will try it & see what happens.

BriR 15:37 16 Sep 03

Tried to d/load from MS downloads as suggested above and although if failed, at least i got an error mssge <setup could not verify integrity of the Update.inf. Make sure the cryptographic service is running on this computer>

So, because i had seen a thread on PCA with exactly the same problem, i followed their solution: quote < Suggestion 1 ========== This can occur if the hotfix installer was referencing: C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\edb.log and the file was corrupt. Either renaming C: \WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\edb.log or renaming the entire C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2 folder will allow the hotfix install to complete normally. I Just renamed the folder.> unquote

So I did the same and changed the folder name to CatRoot2A and d/loaded patch but again i got the same error mssge when it tried to install. Also, i noticed, Ive now got a CatRoot2 folder AND a CatRoot2A folder. Was the abovementioned word- ENTIRE- significant

Jester2K II 15:44 16 Sep 03

Instead of downloading try using Windows Update tio get it.

Tools Menu, Windows Update.

BriR 16:46 16 Sep 03

Hi Jester, assume your mean <START> - <HELP & SUPPORT CENTRE> then in 'pick a task' <TOOLS> but that is not where updates are, they are in 'pick a task' <WINDOWS UPDATE> ... is that what u mean? cos if it is then ive already tried that thanks

Jester2K II 21:02 16 Sep 03

Open Internet Explorer

Tools Menu, Windows Update

the lone cloner 21:30 16 Sep 03

go to click here you will find the answer there.

BriR 00:31 18 Sep 03

I have not yet ticked this as resolved because although the answer may lie at updatexp.com I'm still trying the various 'solutions' but haven't actually found a cure yet so i still cant get the patch to install. I'm desperately trying not to use the reload CD as i'll lose everything else, but i am at college all day tomorrow so cant do anything else now until Friday. So Thanks again - for now!

BriR 14:45 19 Sep 03

Visited updatexp.com again today and establised the cryptographic service on my machine is not running. When I follow instructions to repair, I get message "could not start crypto service on local computer error 193:ocx1"
Two things are confusing me:

(I) The updatexp site then says "If you cannot start the Cryptographic Service the likely cause is that the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is not running. To check this go to the "Services" window (In Control Panel) and right click the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service. If the status shows it is not running then it has been disabled!" But when I look at my service status it shows "Started" which makes me wonder if it is disabled? - Could someone help by looking at their system to see what their status says please? (I'm on XP Home)

(II) The advice goes on: "Since the Cryptographic Service is a dependency of the RPC, we MUST get this running. Sadly you will not be able to do this from the "Services" Window... You will see its "greyed out" so follow these instructions... You will need to use your XP CD to boot the computer into the Recovery Console....."
trouble is I dont have the XP CD. I only have the Reload CD from Time. Does this effectively mean I have no 'Recovery Console' and therefore no option but to use Reload (and lose everything back to out of the box condition!)

<<<sits, eyes screwed open, gaping at screen, totally frustrated, totally P'd off, at point of welling up, awaiting some kindly help>>>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…