PATA to SATA without reinstalling XP

eikonuj 11:50 10 May 06

I have a Shuttle SN25P with a a Samsung SP1213C 120 Gb HDD using SATA cable to SATA connector. It is recognised as IDE not SATA. Can I load the SATA drivers so it will be recognised as such by simply updating the driver or is a repair install a better option (other than a complete reinstall)?
TIA
John

phil46 20:43 10 May 06

You can't change a PATA to a Sata drive.
No SATA should show as an IDE so you must be using an IDE drive with cable.

ed-0 20:49 10 May 06

If it is showing as IDE channel 2 or 3 or 4 or 5. Then it is recognising you SATA drive correctley and they will be no need to reinstall.

Have you got the motherboard details for the shuttle?

ed-0 20:52 10 May 06

Got it from google

eikonuj 21:09 15 May 06

Many thanks for your replies, sorry about the slow response.
I have not explained things correctly - what I have is a SATA drive connected with a SATA cable but it shows in System- Device Manager as location 0 Primary ATA channel and the driver is microsoft dated 1/7/2001 Ver 5.1.2535.0 this cannot be a SATA driver -can it? Can I just change the driver to the one I should have installed in the beginning using F6?
TIA
John

ed-0 22:19 15 May 06

You can try.

set a system restore point first and then go to device manager and pick update driver. Point windows to the disk which you think has the better driver.

See if it accepts it. Pick install anyway if it says the driver is not certified.

If by any chance there is a problem, boot to safe mode and system restore to an older date.

manual is click here, if you don't have it.

DieSse 00:49 16 May 06

*it shows in System- Device Manager as location 0 Primary ATA channel and the driver is microsoft dated 1/7/2001 Ver 5.1.2535.0 this cannot be a SATA driver -can it?*

SATA is just as much ATA as PATA. Since your system is working, then you must be using a SATA driver - clearly it wouldn't be working if the driver was incorrect.

I think you're worrying needlessly - if your system is working, it must by definition be OK.

Now what ed-0 says is quite correct - you could, with precautions, update the driver - but why if your system is working - you do stand a chance of making things worse, and it's also possible you've simply misinterpreted something.

The old adage "If it ain't bust, don't fix it" is very wise.

eikonuj 22:44 18 May 06

I will take your advice "If it ain't bust, don't fix it".

ed-0 09:11 19 May 06

totally agree.:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…