PATA into SATA - Is there an Adapter?

griffon 56 14:13 19 Jun 06

Hi everyone,
I'm always way behind the times with computers, using Win98SE on a 1Ghz machine with 40Gb HDD but I want to fit another HDD of larger capacity. I'm attracted to a SATA drive for future-proofing but wonder if there is an adapter to allow me to connect it to a PATA cable in the computer for the time being?

Regards

Diodorus Siculus 14:16 19 Jun 06

You can get a PCI SATA adaptor card but to be honest, it's not worth the cost.

Even with a new pc you will still be able to add PATA disks for a long time to come.

Diodorus Siculus 14:17 19 Jun 06

ebuyer.com - Peripherals » USB / Firewire / I/O » IDE / SCSI / SATA Adapters » Product details
click here

griffon 56 14:53 19 Jun 06

Thanks DS, As I understand it then, there is no simple plug and play adapter. It looks as tho' the way forward is to get a new PC in due course and retro-fit the old HDD to it. Sort of not the way I wanted to go really, but there you are.....

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:55 19 Jun 06

You will need a SATA controller card to run a STA drive on an old motherboard without a SATA chip.

You can get SATA to PATA convertors click here

griffon 56 12:50 20 Jun 06

Thanks Fr B, your advice covers both angles but I've re-thought it, and it doesn't seem to make economic sense to buy adapters, I'll wait until I've updated the computer because IDE drives will be backwards compatible on SATA mobos. In any case, SATA HDD's will probably be so cheap by then and my existing HDD so old and creaky that it will make sense to buy 2 SATA drives. QED

griffon 56 14:15 04 Jul 06

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…