Past Items in the Taskbar/Start Menu

Daoud 16:27 20 Jan 05

When I looked in the Taskbar - Taskbar and Start Menu in the Control Panel, then clicked on Customise, I was surprised to fine a lot of Past Items. Is there any way I can delete them?

ventanas 16:34 20 Jan 05

Just click each one, a drop-down list will appear where you can make your selection.

Daoud 16:44 20 Jan 05

I've tried that but the past items are still there. There's 54 of them altogether, some relating to old software no longer used, and others are part downloads etc.

Djohn 16:53 20 Jan 05

Yes you can clear them with CCleaner. click here Run the cleaner as normal then open task manager, [Ctrl/Alt/Delete] click on the Processes tab and close down "explorer.exe" {All your deasktop Icons will go off-screen] Click on the Applications tab then the new task button and type explorer.exe back in again.

This will clear all the past Items in your Start up menu. I do it once a week to keep things tidy. By the way there are several ways to get there instead of going via the control panel, one of them is to right click on the task bar and choose properties. Hope this is of help to you.

ventanas 16:55 20 Jan 05

Sorry, I misread you post. You want to remove them altogether, not just hide them. These items actually refer to the Notification Area (formerly System Tray) and not the Start menu. I cannot find any way to remove them from this list, but as long as you have Always Hide selected they should never appear in the Taskbar again.

ventanas 16:59 20 Jan 05

Wherever did you find that one, I would never have thought of that :-))

picklsey 17:08 20 Jan 05

good one

Djohn 17:15 20 Jan 05

Open CC from the desktop Icon then look to the lower left of the window for "On-line help" Open the help then click on the link in the centre of the page. [Click here for more info....] Scroll down to "Advanced" section near the bottom and have a look at "Clear notification area cache".

I was up late one night and thought I'd have a look at a few of the help files for some of the applications and found that one. ;o)

ened 17:24 20 Jan 05

Very Useful - thanks

Djohn 17:27 20 Jan 05

Spread the word ;o)

Daoud 17:48 20 Jan 05

Many thanks everyone.
Have just downloaded CCleaner so will give it a go - do I reboot after closing down explorer.exe and before putting it back in again?
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…