Passwords

worf 17:02 11 Jan 03
  worf 17:02 11 Jan 03

Can someone please help. I had windows configured to save my passwords and usernames etc, so that I didn't have to type them in each time I visited any of the sites I'm registered with. Now, for some reason, it has disabled itself and I have had to revert to typing in my username and password every time I visit a registered site. PCA being one of them.

I am running WIN XP on 1Gig Athlon, 512mb RAM

Many thanks

PS its not a cookie thing

northamuk 17:08 11 Jan 03

Sounds like you have inadvertently turned off the Save Password facility, but I don't know how to turn it back on. Will watch for the answer.

bremner 17:13 11 Jan 03

The passwords for sites such as PCA are saved as cookies, you haven't changed your IE settings to prevent cookies have you?

worf 17:24 11 Jan 03

Thanks folks,

bremner
I think they are two seperate entities. I can save the cookie and as soon as I bring up the homepage it automatically puts my username and password in. Problem with this is if someone else manages to get on to my dektop they have automaticaly got my username and password as soon as they open the homepage. With the Windows password facility it dosn't put anything in until you type the first letter of your username, then it fills it out for you. Basically this leaves the username and password boxes blank when you go to the homepage. So should anyone manage to get onto my desktop they do not have my username and password displayed in front of them.

worf 17:25 11 Jan 03

Thanks folks,

bremner
I think they are two seperate entities. I can save the cookie and as soon as I bring up the homepage it automatically puts my username and password in. Problem with this is if someone else manages to get on to my dektop they have automaticaly got my username and password as soon as they open the homepage. With the Windows password facility it dosn't put anything in until you type the first letter of your username, then it fills it out for you. Basically this leaves the username and password boxes blank when you go to the homepage. So should anyone manage to get onto my desktop they do not have my username and password displayed in front of them.

worf 17:26 11 Jan 03

Whoops!!!

spikeychris 17:54 11 Jan 03

Sorry for the obvious but what have you got ticked in auto-complete? Have you got a tick in prompt me to save password?

It specifies whether you want Internet Explorer to prompt you to save a password when you enter it in a Web page. Then, when you use a user-name entry you've used before, Internet Explorer will automatically fill in the corresponding password if it has been saved.
If you clear this check box, no new passwords will be saved, and you will need to type the password each time for any new user names and passwords that have not previously been saved.

Chris

northamuk 18:16 11 Jan 03

That's the one I was thinking of, I think!

« Ravin » 18:52 11 Jan 03

even if the box is ticked and you still can't save passwords try clicking on clear passwords. then when you log on to this site you'll get the pop up asking whether you want to save your password. but then you'll have to enter the password to all the sites you visit all over again!

« Ravin » 18:55 11 Jan 03

"With the Windows password facility it dosn't put anything in until you type the first letter of your username, then it fills it out for you. Basically this leaves the username and password boxes blank when you go to the homepage. "

byt....

if you double click in the user name box a list of all user id's used to log into that site and saved will pop up so it isn't more secure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…