Password in wireless connection

bribar 13:50 23 Feb 07

I’ve just learnt that I can put a password to stop other people from accessing my private details through my wireless network connection. I’m told it’s very simple, but cannot find how to do this very simple thing. Can anyone help please? I have a Netgear WGR614 v6 TW connected to the internet through a Webstar 100 modem.

D@ve 14:02 23 Feb 07

You will need to go into the routers config page. This is accessed via Internet Explorer and has an address 192.168.x.x. (If you are unsure what this is then go to run, type 'cmd' and press enter then type 'ipconfig /all' and press enter. Type the number listed beside default gateway into the address bar of IE).

Once in here, there should be a security section where you can enable encryption. There are 2 types, WEP and WPA. They are both good but WPA is stronger.

Set a password or let it auto-generate one (I think they are quite fussy about the lengths of the password you choose) and then apply. You will now have to enter this key before you are able to wirelessly connect to your network.

computerboy 14:35 23 Feb 07

visit click here and go to page 79 where it says this "changing the
router’s administration password to password and the IP address to 192.168.1.1."

irishrapter 16:51 23 Feb 07

WEP can be broken in less than an hour, most of the time about five to ten mins!
Try to use WPA or WPA2 with a good long password thats not in any dictionary, click here for a long random one!

bribar 16:58 23 Feb 07

D@ve
I did exactly a you said, but all that came up was a box asking for my username and password. These I enterd but then came up a new page saying ERROR not allowed.

computerboy, your gave me the manual for the wireless router, which I downloaded. Will check later.

irishrapter 17:07 23 Feb 07

Did you use the correct username and password???

Default user name for netgear is normally "admin"
And the password is normally "password"
Should be in the manual.

irishrapter 17:14 23 Feb 07

Just looked at the manual for your router.
The above log in info is correct, its on page 25.

(Dont forget to change this also when you get logged in!)

Strawballs 23:28 23 Feb 07

click here go to the section on security

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced