//some 3rd party need geo

Password recovery utilities - are they safe?

webber_man 12:00 04 Dec 05

Hi

I posted earlier re a problem i have with Partition Magic merging 2 partitions.

I have been advised to run the Rcovery Console from the XP installation disk but it asks for the Admin password - which it seems i've forgotten.

Are password recovery utilities like this click here and others ok to use? Or are you merely telling others your passwords and passing on other info about your pc that can be used?

Thanks.

PaulB2005 12:17 04 Dec 05

"Or are you merely telling others your passwords and passing on other info about your pc that can be used?"

If you are worried about that then just change your password once you discover what it was.

Chegs ®™ 12:27 04 Dec 05

Usually,Recovery Console can be accessed without the need to input a password(despite it asking for one,just hit return)The only time I've encoutered a password that was actually a word/phrase was on an OEM install of XP on a laptop.

webber_man 12:47 04 Dec 05

Thanks yet again.

This is driving me mad now! You were right - no password needed. But after choosing "1" for te windows installation to recover im just left with a promt of C:\windows

Chegs ®™ 12:53 04 Dec 05

Type "Help" and you will see a list of usable options.You want FIXMBR or FIXBOOT or even CHKDSK /R (F)

webber_man 13:41 04 Dec 05

Chegs, you're a life saver!!! Thanks a lot for the tips and the replies.

I got into the Recovery Console and used FIXBOOT and all was well! Well, once i went back into the bios so it booted into the HD first instead of the CDROM drive i set it on to use the disk!

Fan, dabby (and indeed) dozie!

Help very much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…