Password Quandry

warthog01 18:24 11 Aug 04

A close relative suddenly passed away and left me his laptop. Nice piece of kit, but I can't get into it because Windows 2000 retains his password access (unknown). I don't want to access his files and wouldn't be unhappy to format the hard disc and start from scratch.

Can anyone advise as to how I can get past the password and make use of the machine?

Falkyrn 18:50 11 Aug 04

from microsoft

"If a user password is lost, forgotten, or unknown, the only method to reset the password is for the administrator (or a user with administrative access) to log on and reset the password in Computer Management. There is no method in the Windows 2000 security model to bypass, disable, or reset the password.

If the administrator password is lost, forgotten, or unknown, access to the computer may not be obtainable and the operating system may need to be reinstalled."

Diodorus Siculus 18:55 11 Aug 04

click here for some good advice.

click here

also has info.

If you don't want to access his files, why not format the disk and start from scratch. It is not difficult...

warthog01 18:59 11 Aug 04

Falkryn & DS

Thanks for your responses--I'm more than happy to format and re-install the OS, but when I start the machine, I get the password window--how do I go about formatting the hard disk under these circumstances?

Diodorus Siculus 19:03 11 Aug 04

That is a BIOS password, not a Win2k password. What is the machine?

warthog01 20:06 11 Aug 04

It's a Dell Latitude, but the window says "unlock computer" Windows 2000

"The computer is in use and has been locked.

Insert card or press Control + Alt + delete", etc, etc

Diodorus Siculus 21:34 11 Aug 04

Sorry about that; when you said you start the PC it comes up, I thought you meant that it was immediate.

Do you have an OS disk such as win22 / Winxp or even win98?

Or a floppy drive?

If either, try booting with it and choose to format.

See windowsreinstall.com for some info.

Also pcnineoneone.com has some good advice.

VoG II 21:45 11 Aug 04

Or click here download a W98 bootdisk. Restart with the floppy in the drive. At the A:> prompt type

format C:

and press the Enter key.

Then install Windows.

Chegs ® 00:04 12 Aug 04

SECURITY
007 PW Viewer click here

Just found this at bootdisk.com.It might work,I've never had to test any of my password recovery/revealer tools(yet) :-)

warthog01 14:52 17 Aug 04

Thanks to all for your assistance. I'll try the format hard drive option when I get home next week. One more question--if/when I format the hard disc and reinstall the OS, will I have to venture out to find drivers individually for everything on the laptop (such as the internal DVD/CDRW drive, etc)or will the OS installation provide me with that kind of thing?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:05 17 Aug 04

Ah there in lies another problem.

Have you any of the disks that came with the laptop these will have drivers for graphics sound etc.

Have you got a windows 2000 CD?

What operating system are you thinking of putting on?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac