PASSWORD PROTECTION ON A WEBSITE

Mr. Chips 08:12 24 Dec 03

I have written a web-site for our club.
Ideally I would like a password protected section. … but any ideas will be welcome.
Is there any free code which will ask for and validate a user name and password?
I really only need the first letter of the User name and Password validated.
(I don’t fancy running a complicated database to manage all this, but just want those who have paid their subs to be able to get into the ‘closed’ section).
All suggestions thankfully received.
Merry Xmas

Forum Editor 08:30 24 Dec 03

is a fairly complex procedure to set up, and involves running scripts on a Unix server. To be honest I wouldn't recommend that you get involved in that unless you want robust security.

A far easier method is to use a Java or Flash-based password program which is easy to set up and administrate. This won't be as secure as the other method, but it will take a person with considerable knowledge and determination to break in. My view, for ordinary sites, is that if they want to get in that much good luck to them - you are hardly likely to have top secret data on a club web site.

Take a look at an excellent little program called Coffee Cup Password wizard 4.0 from
click here (click on the 'Downloads' tab)

I've used it on dozens of clients' sites, and it hasn't given a minute's trouble. It's a piece of cake to set up and maintain.

The GnoMe 08:35 24 Dec 03

try this
click here

this will tell you a bit of background info you need.

you can also get a program to do it for you click here

or do a search in goole i found click here
click here

or the best one i think i found is

click here

hope this helps you

tbh72 10:48 24 Dec 03

Mr Chips, I would go with FE's suggestion.... I have posted a very special link for coffee cup software I will see if I can find the thread for you?

matt45 15:18 24 Dec 03

If you have PHP support then its easy to do. There is a built in authentication script. Here it is below:

<?php

if (!isset($PHP_AUTH_USER))
{
header("WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm=\"Please Login\"");
Header("HTTP/1.0 401 Unauthorized");
exit;
}

if(($PHP_AUTH_USER=="Username Goes Here") && ($PHP_AUTH_PW=="Password Goes Here"))
{

?>

Page Contents Goes Here

<?php
exit;

}

}

?>

Here you put the message that gets displayed it the username of password entered is is incorrect.

Now if you wanted more than one username or password you could add in an "OR" statement and put in multiple usernames and passwords that allow access.

Hope this helps.

Sheila-214876 16:37 24 Dec 03

I have a password protected website. All I did was ring my hosting company and asked them to password protect it. I gave them the User ID and Password that I wanted and within 24 hours it was done.

Mr. Chips 16:51 24 Dec 03

I have looked at your responses and will be trying them out over Xmas ..

Very many thanks.

... have a good one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…