Password protection?

Heckmotor 18:30 23 Sep 08

My wife uses Freecom ToughDrive mini-HDDs to synchronise and back up our three machines after every session, so that each machine has the same content and we're thoroughly protected against data loss - she uses three ToughDrives in rotation, and places them in different buildings/vehicles. It occurs to us that, while we're not going to lose our data through hardware failure or destruction, it's in six different places and unencrypted, increasing the likelihood of a security issue - we have a lot of sensitive and confidential business data. Don't really want to encrypt, because we'd lose the advantage of being able to use any machine and just carry a mini hard drive about ...or would we? Any suggestions for how we can password protect, without making the HDDs inaccessible to other people's pcs would be appreciated.

Pesala 21:39 24 Sep 08

Are you using a backup program or just copying files? Most backup programs should offer an option to encrypt the backup as it is made.

You could, of course, archive the data with WinZip or 7-Zip click here and add a password to the archive.

The downside is that compression/decompression of large amounts of data (Gbytes) takes some time though it does also save space on the drive. If space is not an issue, you can use the fastest compression mode but still add a password.

Diversion 22:48 24 Sep 08

Hi I've just bought Nero 8 and on the same disc was a program called Staganof Safe complete with serial number, click here it could be what you're looking for. I hope this helps.

GaT7 23:26 24 Sep 08

Consider the excellent free TrueCrypt click here. Not sure it'll be suitable for your purpose, but you won't know until you try all it's functions. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…