Password protecting network folders

WhiteTruckMan 17:13 31 May 08

Hi all.

I am in a position whereby I want to share some folders over a local small local network of machines, all running XP Pro, but I dont want all the users to have access to them. Last time I had to do this was with windows 98, but it doesnt seem possible anymore. I'm thinking that MS seem to have dropped this little piece of functionality as a quick search with google turns up some applications that will do the job-at a fee. Does anyone know for sure if this can still be done with XP? I've had no confirmation one way or the other with trawling the MS knowledge base, and the onboard help files dont seem to mention it.

WTM

mgmcc 17:58 31 May 08

As far as know, if you disable "Simple File Sharing" in XP Pro, you should be able to set access permissions for specific folders, although it isn't something I've dabbled with.

To disable Simple File Sharing, open Windows Explorer and, from the menus, select "Tools > Folder Options". Click the View tab and, in the Advanced Settings, scroll down to the very last item "Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)" and untick it.

WhiteTruckMan 20:25 31 May 08

come across that, and I'm saving it as a last resort. Its kind of clunky, and it restricts access to certain machines, not certain users. What I was looking for is a way to let a user access a shared folder from any machine on the network, not just their specific terminal. In effect, I'm looking for a way to enable access for the user (via a user known password) rather than a specific terminal (via setting permissions).

Thanks for the reply, though.

WTM

WhiteTruckMan 10:51 01 Jun 08

Ah well, looks like thats the route I will have to take. Pity really as it does seem like a step backwards in terms of increasing complexity of application.

Still, complaining about it isnt going to achieve anything.

Not going to tick this just yet, just to see if anyone has any comments, but thanks.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…