password protecting folders (XP)

SWJ 13:01 08 May 03

beyond making a folder priavte and hidden...
when logged in on your own password..anyone with access to this ie; the wife can open any folders

Is there a way of protecting - ie; locking a folder with a password to prevent this..

and if so how - via XP or an add on utility?

Thanks

SWJ

fitshase 13:03 08 May 03

Simple solution is to create a profile in XP for the wife. Make your folders private and then only the person logged in on your account can access them. The wife can then have her own folders, desktop, start menu, etc.

As for password protecting the folders, I do not know of a way in XP. You may have to look for a third party software solution.

Regards

Fitshase

Rhuddlan 13:11 08 May 03

Have you tried putting your files in a compressed folder, when your in the compressed folder, right click and go to add a password, this I find very useful, hope this help, Rhuddlan.

leo49 13:13 08 May 03

If using NTFS,XP Pro[don't know about Home]has a whole host of security and encryption tools for files and folders.Check the Help files re Security.

Regards

Gaz 25 13:17 08 May 03

Tweak XP is not free but is has file protection...

Be warned, some features are dangerous, but this one is Ok, if you remember the password.

click here has a utility called "advanced hide folders" which you can activate using hotkeys it hides the folder and you use a password to unhide them your wife wont even know the folders are there.(secrets dont make good marriages)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant