Password protecting a folder

Pineman100 17:24 PM 04 May 11
Answered

I run Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit). I want to password-protect a folder on my computer, preferably without the complications of data compression or hiding the folder. I just want my wife to have access to it under a password. If I have to download new software, I'd prefer this to be free if possible

I've tried the forum's search function and found a number of quite old suggestions, but they all turn out to involve trialware rather than freeware.

Can anyone suggest how I can achieve the above, please?

rawprawn 17:32 PM 04 May 11

Not free, but I have used it for years to protect financial folders Hide Folders

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:39 PM 04 May 11

Windows 7 will do it but it involves encrypting the folder see here

Pineman100 18:02 PM 04 May 11

Many thanks to you both.

rawprawn - I'll make a note of that, in case I can't get anything satisfactory for free.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - on the face of it that looks like a good solution. However, I notice that the article casts some doubt on the security that the technique offers - it suggests that you don't store bank details, for example. Do you know why this is, given that the data is encrypted and password protected?

robin_x 00:05 AM 05 May 11
Answer

Axcrypt is very similar in function to the Windows software.

Dead easy to use. You can still navigate the files and folders and move/rename/delete. So it doesn't lock them in that sense.

But you need the key to open. Right click for context menu to encrypt etc.

Lots of features. 128 bit strong encryption

(I found Truecrypt a bit overpowering for just a few files.)

link text

robin_x 00:08 AM 05 May 11

Do NOT lose keys/passwords at this level.

Windows/BIOS/Word/WinZip etc may have passwords that can be cracked. With recent freely available encryptions you will be locked out permanently.

Pineman100 09:23 AM 05 May 11

Thanks robinofloxley. Axcrypt looks as though it's exactly what I need - I'll download and try it.

And thanks for your warning password loss!

Pineman100 16:50 PM 06 May 11

robinofloxley - just to let you know that Axcrypt does exactly what I wanted. And it's free!

Thank you very much for that tipoff.

robin_x 17:04 PM 06 May 11

Jolly good, thanks for the update

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

MIT builds an awesome 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites