password protecting

steffano 21:18 27 Dec 05

I have created a document with the intention that others will read it. I have password protected against unauthorised modification. This will not prevent someone from making modifications and then saving that document using a different name. Is there any way to prevent this

VoG II 21:22 27 Dec 05

Is this in Word and which version?

steffano 21:30 27 Dec 05

Thank you for responding. This document is Microsoft Word 2000 (rather old but I like it)

VoG II 21:44 27 Dec 05

When you protect the file tick the option 'Forms'. They won't be able to edit it then.

Chris the Ancien 21:58 27 Dec 05

My postings for info

Good one VoG™

DieSse 22:18 27 Dec 05

Also - you can convert it to a PDF (use free Primo pdf maker click here) and when you save it, use the appropriate options to prevent modifications.

As a plus, pdfs are even more ubiquitous than Word2000 docs - so it makes more certain that anyone can actually read it.

DieSse 22:19 27 Dec 05

And a pdf will be a smaller file than a Word doc.

steffano 22:24 27 Dec 05

I thank you all for your kind assistance. I will try the `forms` option and I will use the free Primo pdf maker so that I have two versions of this very long 160 page document. I will tick the resolved box on the assumption my questions has been answered. Seasons greetings to all

steffano 10:08 28 Dec 05

Just a finishing note. Tried the forms protection. Whilst it does not 100 per cent cure the problem, if you alter the document the alterations go red and there are some strike throughs. Makes a real mess so its a deterrent. The Primo pdf make is absolutely great and this is going to be my preferred option. Thanks again all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…