password protected bios XP

tobyjug472002 08:35 15 May 08

Hi, having mega problems both with my girlfriends pc, plus of course AOL Wireless.
I need to format the pc loads of junk on it, not to mention all the clutter and crap trying to install AOL Wireless (waste of space that i think, plus customer services are rubbish) but i cant format the pc..bought second hand..someone has password protected the bios (password unknown) so i cannot set it to boot from the CD Rom...and ideas would be most welcome.
Many thanks

JanetO 09:03 15 May 08

I think if you take out the cmos battery for a few minutes then replace it cancels out the password protection.

tobyjug472002 09:40 15 May 08

Thanks for this, having spent all day yesterday trying to install AOL Software, through a 'free wireless router' i'm at my wits end, i think it will be getting shipped back to them, 5p a minute to customer services, i would anticipate that the costs of calls to Aol will have paid for the damn router....ive used AOL before AOL 9 through a modem, but 'easy installation' is taking the biscuit i think...i'm not in anyway rascist but if you could get an actual english speaking advisor it may help, broken english is not engish to my way of thinking...install AOL sortware, but you need to use Internet explorer as your browser, i think its time AOL sacked the wireless option....i can only live in hope that removing this battery removes the password protection on the bios, format the pc, and have one last day of messing about with AOL...i presume its me but i would be interested if anyone else has had problems with this AOL and the free Router Installation?

Kind regards

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:47 15 May 08

Your motherboard may also have a "clear CMOS" jumper to reset the BIOS to default settings.

Try the manual (if you have one) or paste motherboard make and model here for further advice.

Ashrich 23:27 15 May 08

Try some of these , click here , should keep you occupied for a while , good luck !!

Ashley

sharpamat 16:22 18 May 08

Try fruitbats answerclick here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017