password problems!

zigg 22:45 17 Jul 04

For some reason I am having problems connecting to outlook express. It connects and authorises (ie- connects to the net) but then a box comes up asking for my user name and password for the server, which is the one I use.
when I click ok it seems to be rejecting my password which is 10 digits long. However, when I look under control panel-internet connections-internet properties-connections-settings (I use xp) this indicates that my password is 16 digits long. I remember experiencing a similar problem when I used win98 but can't remember how I fixed it. I tried system restore but it has not solved the problem. Other people in the house use the computer and I think someone has done something to mess up the settings but i'm not sure what. It worked ok until yesterday.
Any advice would be appreciated

Mikè 22:58 17 Jul 04

The password in control panel is a red herring i'm afraid, it's encrypted which includes showing a false number of digits.

Daveboy 23:00 17 Jul 04

I think XP places a row of astericks that does not relate to your digits, this adds to the confusion of anyone trying to guess yours, Overtype with your real p/word and try again.

Mikè 23:03 17 Jul 04

Sounds like an OE issue click here

zigg 23:34 17 Jul 04

I tried overtyping my password and outlook connects ok but the problem is I can't recieve my emails. The error message box prevents me from connecting to my email server. Any thing else I might be able to try?

THE TERMINATOR 23:46 17 Jul 04

Have you tried a system restore to a time when everything was ok?...TT

Mikè 10:26 18 Jul 04

You could use Telnet click here to see if it's a problem with the server.

If you have xp home ignore the terminal setup part.

hillybilly 10:42 18 Jul 04

If you contact Vigin support, th first thing they will ask you to do is to delete the account from O/express,
Shut O/express and reopen it and re install your account.
Experienced this a lot in the past with lots of other ISP's as well! But this often seems to do the trick!

zigg 23:44 18 Jul 04

I've tried the suggestions including moving to an xp restore point and deleting and restoring the account with o/express, but the same problem keeps happening- box pops up asking for my user name and password which are then not accepted, so I can't access my emails. Because of this I can't use online support because I can't recieve any email fron them. Is there anything else I can try?

hillybilly 00:48 19 Jul 04

Have you been to virins website and looked at their status pages, seems there has been a problem of some sort with their Email servers!

Also if you have net access why not logon to the virgin website and view your emails until either you or virgin can get it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…