Password problem Grrrrr

skell 18:36 27 Jul 04

Hi , Iv been having trouble with accessing various sites where i require a password including pcadvisor. Everytime i go to log on it says i have the incorrect pw or login name . i know i have the correct pw etc but even so, on most occations i have to enter a new pw to gain enty. When i log out the samee thing happens when i go to log again. This is really starting to annoy me now and would like to know why this is happenning . does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?
O/S Win XP-Pro

Gongoozler 19:01 27 Jul 04

I don't know about incorrect password, but many sites (I think PCA is one of them) store your password as a cookie, so if you disable cookies, your password will not be stored.

end 19:07 27 Jul 04

and do they not also ask you if you are prepared TO allow a cookkie on your computer...if memory serves ( and I know it is getting a bit rusty now....)

skell 19:19 27 Jul 04

I havent deleted any cookies and i dont get ask to allow cookies. My internet is set to medium so im sure they should be alowed and saved. Some sites are ok but its mainly msn or forum sites. Im not to familiar with XP so im guessing it could be a setting somewhere to alow pw to be saved. i havent change anything on my computer but i did alow my missuss to use it for surfing the net and its started ever since she use it. Iv done a virus check but nothing, also spyware check all clear. One other thing tho i have been getting alot of spam email which has made it impossible for me to access my email coz i get hundreds and it floods my email. iv just stopped using it now so i would like to use hotmail but again i keep having to change my pw.

skell 19:22 27 Jul 04

One other thing my default home paged changed so i set it back to the one i wanted saved and ok'd it but when i shut down restart i reverts back to this site i dont want .

sattman 19:28 27 Jul 04

Can you give us the full name of the unwanted home page.

Graham ® 19:28 27 Jul 04

Could be you have a trojan that has also disabled your passwords. Try Coolwebshredder.

click here

skell 19:38 27 Jul 04

Ok ive restarted my m/c and the unwanted home page is
click here

I will also try Grahams link too.
I hope i havent got a trojon i have never had trojons on my comp b4.

skell 19:44 27 Jul 04

The following was found not sure what im looking at tho.
CWShredder v1.59.1 scan only report
Please understand that a CWShredder 'Scan only' report
might not be sufficient to troubleshoot an infected system.
You can use HijackThis for that:
click here
click here

Windows XP (5.01.2600 SP1)
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Windows system dir: C:\WINDOWS\System32
AppData folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Steveskell\Application Data
Username: Steveskell

Infected Registry value:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar
Infected data: click here
Infected Registry value:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page
Infected Registry value:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page,about:blank
Infected Registry value:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant,click here{SUB_RFC1766}/srchasst/srchasst.htm
Infected Registry value:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP
Found Hosts file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (734 bytes, A)
CWS.Olehelp Registry value: HKCU\..\Run [olehelp] C:\Program Files\Common Files\svchost.exe
Shell Registry value: HKLM\..\WinLogon [Shell] Explorer.exe
UserInit Registry value: HKLM\..\WinLogon [UserInit] C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,
Found Win.ini file: C:\WINDOWS\win.ini (472 bytes, A)
Found System.ini file: C:\WINDOWS\system.ini (227 bytes, -)
CWS.Searchx Registry value: HKLM\..\SSODL [System] {B07B8865-1913-45F4-9AD2-3480680D2B32}

- END OF REPORT -

jonnytub 19:48 27 Jul 04

the my search bar by the looks of it ("search assistant")

jonnytub 19:50 27 Jul 04

run spybot and adaware,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…