Password on a network

goose1984 19:42 19 Feb 04

Hiya all

I am at uni and I live in the halls. We have our separate network for the halls. Whilst browsing the network I noticed that to access various computer systems I had to enter a user name and password. How do I enable this on my machine so that if a user wishes to enter my shared documents they need a user name and password??

I have a machine running Windows XP Pro

fanx in advance

igk 19:59 19 Feb 04

I would think that you should find out who the system/network administrator is and check with them that you can do this.

explicitlyrics100 20:01 19 Feb 04

you need to disable simple file sharing - in the view tab of folder options (right at the bottom). The you are able to allow access to your shared folder by username and password.

goose1984 20:05 19 Feb 04

simple file sharing is disabled and i have tested it with other network users and they can still access my shared folder without a need of a password any other ideas?? cheers

explicitlyrics100 20:24 19 Feb 04

it was more complicated than i remember it being so here is the link i think i used to do it

click here

explicitlyrics100 20:25 19 Feb 04

and here

click here

goose1984 21:04 19 Feb 04

I dunno if i am thick but i read and tried some of what the webpages suggested but none of which enabled to 2 password my shared documents :-(

explicitlyrics100 21:11 19 Feb 04

no but you have to set a user account to set a password. So for example you create a user account with password ****. Then you go into the sharing tab and select permissions. Then you can select the Username you created to have access to the shared folder and only that username. Thus when browsing you have to enter a password and username to browse the shared folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…