Password Management

Chris-347369 19:57 06 Jun 06

Most internet users are probably registered on huge numbers of sites these days.

Yet to use the same password on every differnt site is dangerous and frowned upon.

Remembering all these different passwords is challenging so how does everyone manage their passwords?

(Without giving your secrets away of course!!)

VoG II 19:59 06 Jun 06

Personally I tend to use the same small number of passwords. It may be frowned upon but I cannot remember loads of unguessable passwords.

click here is highly rated.

Jackcoms 20:23 06 Jun 06

We've had this debate before.

I keep mine on a spreadsheet which is saved on a removable media NOT on the PC.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:33 06 Jun 06

Apart from the bank and my ISP/email I use the same password for every site (40+)...makes life a lot easier.

G

ade.h 20:52 06 Jun 06

I only have a half-dozen or so passwords that get shared around, but I could never remember which site uses which password without help. So they're all listed in a spreadsheet, with an unrelated file name. Perfectly safe, as far as I'm concerned; no-one else can access any of my PCs and I doubt if anyone would be interested in a "list of books" anyway.

FatboySlim71 22:49 06 Jun 06

I have used this program to store my passwords for around 18 months or more, without any problems. With this program you can choose for it to randomly choose a password for every entry you store, the randomly choosen passwords are a combination of letters (lowercase and uppercase) and or numbers as well, so its a very secure password and also the passwords that are stored are encrypted by various method, also this program is free. I cannot recommend this program enough.

click here

Belatucadrus 23:12 06 Jun 06

click here Keywallet
click here Password depot
click here Access manager
click here Keepass
click here Oubliette.

terryf 23:56 06 Jun 06

click here Whisper 32, the data fits a floppy or usb dongle and is password protected so that you only have to remember 1 password, You can keep multiple data on say bank account memorable words, account numbers, passwords, etc. I have used it for years, no probs and it is FREE.

?. 00:02 07 Jun 06

I have a fingerprint reader, and use firefox, so most of my passwords are rembered.

GaT7 00:51 07 Jun 06

RoboForm - VoG's link - is excellent. The newer free versions offer only 10 passwords, but an older free v5.7.6 will give you 30 - to download this older version click here (<---direct download).

I've tried Belatucadrus' programs, but the only other one (apart from RoboForm) that suits me is the free unlimited Any Password click here (I use them both as I have over 200 passwords to remember - don't ask!)

As ?. mentions, Firefox has it's own built in password manager. G

Chris-347369 08:23 07 Jun 06

RoboForm looks really good. I especially like the portable version of it to put on a USB.

I'd have no chance of remembering 200 passwords!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…