Password locked folders in XP

ademac 00:07 17 Nov 03

I have had my computer set up on multi-user in XP with the password set up to prevent unauthorized access. I also ticked the 'make this folder private' box to stop others viewing my folders. XP crashed after installing some software and I could not repair the installation.
However I still have this locked folder which I am now unable to access. Does anyone know of any other way of how I can access this folder. I still have the password.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ade.

hugh-265156 00:28 17 Nov 03

what happens when you try to access the folder,any errors etc?

if you could not repair the installation then how are you trying to access the folder?

belgarth_the_sorcerer 03:53 17 Nov 03

try rolling the p.c back to the date before the installation this should set it back up b4 the error occured go into system restore to do this and select the date you need

ademac 04:05 17 Nov 03

Thanks for your replies. I was getting the red circle with white cross, access denied. I couldn't get rollback because this had been corrupted too and only held one rollback which wasn't much use.

I have finally managed to access this folder. I found someone had the same problem when copying files from one pc to another. The advice which worked was:
(1)Log on as administrator by pressing ctrl+alt+delete twice
(2)In the folder options, untick the allow simple file sharing box.
(3)Then in the properties of the folder in question in the security tab, advanced, owner tab, clicked on administrator and ticked the box below to take ownership of the folder.
This allowed me to copy all the files out of this folder into a different folder only while I was logged on as administrator, even though my profile was administrator.
Thanks again,
Regards,
Ade.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…