Password for bios setup?

Baz48 12:01 16 Dec 05

I've volunteered to upgrade a friend's Win 98 PC but can,t enter the bios setup to set the first boot device to the CD Rom. It,s requesting a password. My friend dosn,t remember setting one or indeed knows how and I,ve never come across a bios password.

I know I can install the new OS from dos, somehow, but future access to the bios is going to be needed. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-71XE. Can anyone help please.

VoG II 12:02 16 Dec 05
  Devil Fish 12:04 16 Dec 05

the motherboard may have a cmos jumper to clear the bios failing that remove the battery from the motherboard
if you do choose to remove the battery take care when doing so and make sure the polarity is correct when replacing it

pj123 12:10 16 Dec 05

There could be a 3 pin riser on the Motherboard which resets the BIOS. If so, just take the jumper off (say pins 1 and 2) and put it on pins 2 and 3 or the other way round if it is already on 2 and 3. Leave it for a few seconds then put it back how it was. The motherboard manual will tell you. Alternatively, remove the motherboard battery for a few minutes and then replace it and switch on. If all that fails try some of these:

click here= You would need to know what BIOS you have eg. ami, phoenix etc.

pj123 12:11 16 Dec 05

Oh dear. Too slow again.

Baz48 12:34 16 Dec 05

Got the tips, will try, thanks.

Baz48 13:24 16 Dec 05

The "clear CMOS" jumper worked but had to start PC with it in the new position then return it to original position.

Thanks everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…