passport photos

keef66 12:05 21 May 07

I recently applied to renew passports for my wife and two teenagers. I produced the photos to exactly the right size using Photoshop, printed them out on a humble Canon Pixma IP3000, and sent them off with the forms.
Only then did I spot the bit in the guidance leaflet saying photos printed at home wouldn't be of acceptable quality!

Anyway, having spent a fortnight with all my fingers and toes crossed, all 3 passports duly arrived, and the photos seem to have been adequate.

I suspect their guidance hasn't taken into account the advances in photo inkjet printing technology over the past 2 or 3 years.

MAJ 12:13 21 May 07

Not something I would recommend if you have two or three weeks to renew your PP before having to jet off to the Caribbean, it's one hell of a long swim, lol.

pj123 12:18 21 May 07

I've not had any problems with passport/ID photo's.

I have taken and printed quite a few, including my neighbours.

None have been rejected.

Technotiger 12:54 21 May 07

Ditto pj123 .. I have done loads without problems.

muscic lover 13:40 21 May 07

I have heard of them being rejected quite often - i suspect the prints were of poor quality or being printed out onto 'paper' rather than onto photographic paper - photopaper allows security to be embossed onto / into them and microdot security to be imprinted!

oldbeefer2 13:51 21 May 07

Also important to read the notes with the application carefully - lots of advice about background colour, not smiling etc etc. I've not had an application refused since digital came in.

pj123 15:44 21 May 07

I printed the same photo for my new Driving Licence as well and that was also accepted.

Mind you, anyone looking at my driving licence would think I'd already been in an accident!!

lisa02 15:50 21 May 07

I tried and failed at home too so I much prefer the service of my local chemist. They take them personally (The camera is a big Polaroid contraption) and all are pre-cut individually for your convenience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos