PASSING PROGRAMMES FROM OLD TO NEW DELL.

ronroam 19:19 04 Oct 05

Can anyone tell me the quickest, simplest way to transfer the programmes currently stored on my Dimension 4100 to my new Dimension 5100 due to be delivered shortly?

This will be only my second home pc so I have not encountered this task before.

Thanks.

mattyc_92 19:21 04 Oct 05

Erm.... Install them.....

johnnyrocker 19:22 04 Oct 05

i think the easiest way would be to get an external usb caddy plug it in to usb port of new pc (with old hard drive in it) and transfer across (unless someone knows better)

johnny.

bremner 19:24 04 Oct 05

To expand on what mattyc is saying - the only way to successfully get the programs onto the new machine is to physically install them.

You can not 'transfer' programs from one hard drive to another. This is because entries are made in sytem files when the installation is undertaken.

You can of course tranfer your files such as documents, spreadsheets, mp3 etc

VoG II 19:25 04 Oct 05

Documents and settings click here click here

Programs will have to be installed.

johnnyrocker 19:34 04 Oct 05

apologies i misread your post as i have installation exe on seperate drive and thought you wanted to do the same sorry.

johnny.

ronroam 20:47 04 Oct 05

Well, you've definitely confirmed to me that I will have to install rather than being able to transfer all the programmes.(Yes, Matty, probably fundamental
to some of you, I suppose!)

Thanks VoG for the link; at least I can transfer files and documents using a direct cable, as one of the most straightforward of the options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…