passing on pc

bendigo 07:34 11 Aug 06

When I upgrade my 4yr old pc (an evesham evolution 2400) I would like to pass it on to my niece who is disabled and spends a lot of time on the internet on an elderly pc using windows 98. There would be no sensitive information passed on. Are there any foreseeable problems? Second question:- would an upgrade from a samsung 19" crt monitor to a novotech 19" widescreen tft be a good move?

ArrGee 08:08 11 Aug 06

From you you have put here, there should be no foreseeable problems with passing your pc on. However, it would be an idea to ensure that your e-mail account and internet log-on is no longer on the machine. In addition to this, and not knowing the nature of her disabilities, it may be worth seeing if there are any accessability options that could be of help. These can be found in Control Panel - Accessability Options.

In terms of upgrading from CRT to TFT, this could be considered a bit of a luxury if the CRT is working well. If so, your only real gain will be space-saving. (19 inch CRT's can also be a bit of a hand-full when moving it around!)

FelixTCat 08:32 11 Aug 06

bendigo,

A TFT monitor would probably be lighter than a CRT and take up less space, but the screen resolution is the same as a 17" monitor, except that everything is a bit bigger on a 19". The wide screen would also enable your niece to watch films in the wide format - this might save her having to move to her TV.

If you are buying new, how about a 17" wide screen TFT and use the price difference to buy a TV tuner so that she can watch TV and movies as well as use the computer, all from one spot?

Regards,

Felix

Zion_Lion 14:45 11 Aug 06

Hi bendigo... getting rid of your own private and personal information is solely your responsibility, as long as there is no information about anybody else on the system there should not be any problem.
The only other issue is the licence key for the operating system, but as long as the operating system is not installed on any other machine this again should not be a problem (remembering to pass on the key with the machine if it is not already on the side of the case).
Regarding the TFT it sounds like a good idea, try getting one with the quickest response time, as this will give less ghosting when watching movies or playing games

bendigo 17:25 11 Aug 06

Many thanks to all of you, your advice and views are most helpfull

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now