Parts/Processor lifespan when powered 24/7...

Gaz 25 14:17 01 Jul 04

Ok...

I have quite a few now, servers. Well the one thing that worries me when I leave them is that the processor will have less lifespan. :-o

Especially when one of the servers is actaully a laptop, lol. Since it is an old 500Mhz system - ideal for a low cost server.

However the others are much more powerful running a Tyan server motherboard and 4x Opteron processors and with 6Gbs DDR ram.

Will leaving these PCs on reduce the time they last? Or will they fail quicker?

Just worried about the processors burning out?

georgemac 14:36 01 Jul 04

I wouldn't worry about it. The only time I've ever heard of a cpu failure is when they are overclocked or allowed to overheat. Or someone applies the wrong voltage to them!

Gaz 25 14:38 01 Jul 04

ah well... Long as leaving it on 24/7 aint damage it. Fine!

Thanks.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:49 01 Jul 04

My old computer was left on for three years...apart from 3 electricity failures.

G

Gaz 25 15:01 01 Jul 04

:-o

The one I am worried about most though is the laptop.

Shoule be fine.

Thanks for all the comments.

The only thing to keep an eye on is any cooling fans you may have.Being mechanical,and revolving at high speed, they have a finite life.If possible I would set my computer to give an audible warning if the cpu or case temperature started to rise.

Quiller. 15:09 01 Jul 04

There is a company near here, I do a bit of I.T. work for.

They have a 486 dx 75 running windows 3.1 with a 540Mb hard drive. This, apart from power failures, has never been switched off. They can not remember exactly when it was installed but they think about 1995. It just ticks over and does the wages for the workforce.:-)

TBH1 15:13 01 Jul 04

most PC's / servers in industry remain are up-and-running 24/7 so you have no worries there. As for your laptop though, not sure there as these were never designed for that type of thing - - -maybe OK .

Stuartli 15:22 01 Jul 04

The cooler the environment in which they are housed the better but, generally, leaving a system on full-time is unlikely to cause problems if sensible precautions are taken.

Servers etc are used in such fashion and usually the only reason they are stopped temporarily is for upgrading or replacement.

Gaz 25 16:02 01 Jul 04

Leave laptop on or off then?

Quiller. 18:45 01 Jul 04

I would leave the laptop off, if it's like mine it does get fairly hot. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…