Partitions - would they help me ?

WhiteViper 15:29 20 Dec 05

I've recently started editing a fairly large amount of video (new baby !!), and I've heard thet creating partitions on the Hard Drive can help keep order with all of the data.

Could anyone tell me exactly what partitioning does, how it helps and whether it is appropriate for me to do it - I have a 150 GB HD, 49 % of which is free at present and 1 gb RAM.

Also, any recommended software to help with this?

Thanks

PaulB2005 15:30 20 Dec 05

Just create a new folder and sub folders. Much easier.

PaulB2005 15:34 20 Dec 05

Sorry to answer your questions.

Partitioning divides one physical disk into many theoretical disks. So one drive can be a C Drive or a C, D and E Drive.

It's only appropriate if the data needs to be held separately from other data. Some people use partitions to hold data separate from the OS so if Windows gets reinstalled the data is safe.

wobblymike 17:17 20 Dec 05

I'm a fan of partitioning for the reasons above and others. If you want to do it and you don't want to lose any info you have already stored then you will need a 3rd party partitioning programme somether like Partition magic. I don't believe there is any other way of partitioning and keeping your data.

Gongoozler 17:20 20 Dec 05

I think the ony real advantage of partitioning a drive is that if Windows gets irrepairably corrupted, you can reformat the partition with Windows on it and not lose any data. I keep all my data on a separate partition and this has saved me a couple of times.

pj123 17:23 20 Dec 05

Agree with all above so you may find Ranish (free download) a big help

click here

MichelleC 17:31 20 Dec 05

Having other partitions also helps avoid some errors with dv editing and rendering etc. I'm not too sure of the technicalities but it's even better to have at least 2 hd's for this purpose so you have two hd's working instead of just one. Plus there's the storage issue. Once you get hooked dv takes up a lot of space.

€dstowe 18:30 20 Dec 05

I'm with Michelle on this. Far, far better to have a separate drive solely for video files.

Arnie 19:07 20 Dec 05

I used Partition Magic to partition my hard drive from C: to C: and D: It left my original data intact.

I image my C: partition to a second internal IDE drive now and again for an emergency situation.

After imaging, the second hard drive is switched off using a 2 pole key switch. The switch interrupts the yellow 12V and red 5V psu supply to the drive.

Another advantage of partitioning a drive, is that one can selectively defrag each partition only as required thereby speeding up the process.

Most off the shelf computers with reinstallation discs, make use of a separate partition.
This is used by the restore disc to restore the computer with the original software installed at the time of purchase.
The trouble here, is that any new drivers or software is lost. This is where backing up (copying) this data to a CD is a valuable exercise.

Arnie.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:13 20 Dec 05

Partitioning in modern comoputers is a waste of time with no real benefits. Buy an external HD and back up to that. You can also lug it around with you and plug into most computers. You will thank me for this one day ;-)0

G

Arnie 19:23 20 Dec 05

As I said earlier. A partition is required for a supplied restore disc. If the restore disc info was on the one and only C: drive, how would you restore the data if the drive became corrupted?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…