Partitions on a laptop

Beatle2078 11:30 06 Nov 03

I have recently aquired a p3 laptop which came with the hard drive completely wiped. After many trials and tribulations (due to loads of partitions) I finally got XP installed and it works reasonably well but very slowly. I was trying to get something loaded from the CD drive (external) but the machine would not recognise it despite the fact that I had previoulsy loaded everything through it. It would appear that the hard drive is still partitioned and everything is loaded twice on it which would explain the slowness. Please can anyone help me to get rid of the partition and all the stuff which is slowing things down and most importantly get the CD drive working (floppy works OK)

pj123 11:50 06 Nov 03

Don't know about the CD bit but Ranish (free) from click here might do the trick.

If you do not have a boot disk then grab one from here.

click here

Reboot your laptop with the bootdisk floppy in the A drive.

Now type Fdisk /mbr

This will restore the master boot record.

Go into Fdisk itself and remove any and all partitions that you can.

Remove the floppy and reboot from the XP CD and set yourself about 8Gb as the XP partition.

Good luck

Once you have XP in then go to Admin Tools, Computer Management and Disk Management.

Right click on your CD drive and change the drive letter to Z, you can then partition away to your hearts content.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…